My Terribly Wonderful Relationship with Photography

Why I hate but also love the art

106
wedding-photographer

I started delving into the world of digital photography in eighth grade as a part of the yearbook staff. Obviously, I didn't learn much as part of this as they just wanted us to get some in-focus shots of the events we went to. After that, I really only picked up a camera for my youth group because it was what I could pick up in order to not participate in whatever event that I really didn't want to do. In my junior year of high school, I took a journalism and photojournalism class. The following school year, I joined the yearbook staff. These two years are what really started my passion for photography.

The art of photography truly inspires me. I have the ability to see something so beautiful, take a meaningful photo being careful not to leave out any detail that makes it that way, and I can reflect back on what I experienced. I truly love photography and aspire to make it a career but there are just some things that drive me absolutely insane!

The biggest problem I have with being a photographer is that whatever you are involved in, you are the photographer. Sure, you can pass the camera off to someone trustworthy for a little while, but you ultimately spend 90 percent of the time with the camera in your hand. It can be a retreat, a student life event, a family reunion. I literally become the photographer EVERYWHERE I go. The reason that it bothers me so much is that everyone just assumes that I would love to take pictures when in reality I have another reason to be there (that reason is not photo related at all, by the way). I often 'forget' my camera just so I am not expected to take pictures.

Another issue I have with being a photography expert is that those without the same knowledge sometimes do not see the value in paying for quality photos. Here's an argument, your lack of skill leads to important aspects of a situation being left out, photographers know angles that can capture a thousand images in one photo. Skills in dealing with toddlers or sporting events are what many photographers train themselves on daily since every child and event is different. We spend so much time on getting the perfect shot with a crisp smile from that rowdy toddler or the perfect catch on the opposite side of the football field.

I was reading the comments on a post seeking out some inexpensive photography for her kids, which leads me to two points of irritability. First, there are not many people that are inexpensive with their photography business. Don't be afraid to spend a little money on some quality photos that will last forever. There are some people who are inexpensive in their work and some of them are underselling their skills. I am inexpensive with my prices in comparison to others because 1) I am not as skilled as most photographers, 2) I know some people truly can't afford it, and 3) it is not my main source of income so I don't have to depend on my prices.

The second problem from that same post is that one of the people commenting said that she should just take the photos on her phone. I am all for capturing moments with your phone, but to want quality photos that you can hang in your home for people to admire, schedule a session with an actual photographer. I have not met a photographer that doesn't take your ideas for the photo into account and produce something that everyone will love. For one, a background speaks volumes in your photo. Sorry, but if I walk into your house and the biggest picture you have hung up is your 3-year-old in a messy t-shirt and diaper standing in your living room during laundry day, I will judge you so hard.

The last issue I have with photography is the following statement:

"Why do we have to schedule a photography session, can't you just take it on your phone?"

This statement pretty much sums up everything I have already said. If I am part of an event or situation, I'd like to be in the photo rather than being forced to be excluded because I am the photographer. Paying for photos is not a crime. Spend some money and get some good photos. Did you just ask if I can take our group photo on a phone? I won't go into that again.

All I ask from this article is that everyone remembers that a photographer is still a person. Value them, don't misuse their abilities and for the sake of business, pay them well. Even if they are friend or family.