10 Things I learned At My First Legal Musikfest

Because being 21 rocks.

15
The Morning Call

Musikfest has been a tradition with my friends and I since high school. It is an ever-changing tradition - the reason for going has always been different. In high school, we would walk around to look cute and try to pick up boys. In my early college years, we would socialize with people we did not see in awhile - since everyone went their separate ways to college. Now...well...now my reasoning is beer and music. Twenty-one certainly has its perks, and drinking at Musikfest is definitely one of them. I have been waiting for this moment since I was probably sixteen.

Let's start by describing Musikfest to get everyone in the loop. Musikfest is a ten day festival in Bethehem, PA filled with music, beer, food, and fun. What more could anyone want? It spans down the entire Main Street of Bethlehem and even runs on the Southside by the Steelstacks. It is an ever-growing event that attracts people from all around. For us locals, we just happen to be lucky enough to be right in the middle of the action. Many people try to go as many days as possible to get the most out of it. With so many venders, food options, and music tents, it is definitely something worth attending more than once while the festival is happening.

This is what I have learned in my experience with festing legally:

1. Just Dance

"It'll be okay. Doot, doot, doot, just dance." Channeling my inner Lady Gaga with this one. There is so much music everywhere you turn. To get the most out of it, find a tent you really like and start ripping up the dance floor. You will have some serious sweaty fun. If dancing is not really your style, then go and watch others dance. It's a good time, trust me!

2. Buy A Mug, Find Cheap Refills

The mug itself is a cool keepsake that changes every year. It also has the date on it and is worth the money. The next step is trying to find places with reasonably priced mug refills. The beer venders at The Fest itself will usually run you anywhere from eight to eleven dollars - a bit steep. Some of the restaurants and bars along the strip have offers as low as five dollars for a refill. Take advantage of those because nobody wants to pay eleven bucks for one beer...nobody.

3. The Port-A-Pottys Get Gross

This one is to be expected. If you use the bathroom within the first couple days of Musikfest, the bathrooms are generally clean... there will still be toilet paper present. By the second weekend, do not expect anything special. They smell, are disgusting, and no toilet paper will be available for your convenience. There are ways around this. If you choose to eat or drink at a restaurant or bar, use their bathroom. There are also public bathrooms at the Steel Stacks on Southside - just walk over the bridge and use them if you get weary about the grossness.

4. Enjoy The Vibes

It gets to the point where you are relaxing, sipping on beer, and taking in all of the cool vibes The Fest has to offer. Whether it be jamming at a tent, watching someone perform some type of cool talent, or eating a kabob that is to die for - take it all in. It only happens once a year.

5. Don't Drink The Blue Alcohol Slushee

Yes. It was a delicious drink that cooled me down at least ten degrees, but I did have to pay a price. I was left with lips that were so blue, it looked like I had suffered from hypothermia. Next time I go, I will avoid the blue raspberry bacardi slushee.. for my life depends on it.

6. Be Ready For Obnoxiously Loud Groups Of People

If large crowds of people is not your scene, stay home. There are people from all walks of life - EVERYWHERE. You have to be a master navigator to get to where you need to go. With all those people, you know darn well it is going to be hot - so prepare to sweat!

7. To Keep The Party Going, Just Find A Bar

The only problem with Musikfest is that it stops serving beer at 10:45 p.m. and it closes at 11 p.m. This does not have to be a problem though - seeing as Bethlehem is home to numerous bars that stay open till 2 in the morning. Feel free to set up shop at one of these bars and keep the partying going. Just because Musikfest stops does not mean you have to.

8.Be Respectful Of Others And Of Law Enforcement

Do not be looking to start any fights. Be respectful of the people surrounding you. Also be nice to the people who wait on you and provide you with beer and food. They are just volunteers and do not get paid to work there. The least you can do is be friendly. Also, there are cops on horses. It is SCARY, so respect the law enforcement or else I do not know what will happen.

9. Do Get To The Polka Tent And Give It A Go

Trying new things is always fun. Try and get to the polka tent to dance around. Try to learn some new dance skills! It is always fun and there is an older generation that hangs out there. They love seeing younger kids at the polka tent. They may even try and teach you a thing or two.

10. Just Have Fun

With the festival lasting just under two weeks, enjoy your time. Try and go as much as possible, do everything you want to do and see as much music as possible. Because remember - YOMO-PY (You Only Musikfest Once--Per Year)