10 Things You Know to Be True Growing Up With a Big Family

No one else could understand like you all do.

82
WordPress

Whether you're the oldest sibling, the baby, or somewhere in the middle, there are just some experiences that you're only going to have if you grew up with a big family. If you've ever been to a friend's house who has only one or two siblings, you'll realize how much more complicated your home life can be! Between family parties, grocery shopping, doing chores, and sitting around a dinner table—there's really nothing like it! Here's a quick list of how growing up in a big family can be so different:

1. Whose Shirt is This?

When you have a bunch of siblings who share your style or size, clothing can be pretty much a free-for-all. You're always borrowing bags, cardigans, or those shoes while they're not wearing them, and you've probably inherited a piece or two from someone around the table. This can be crazy when clothes have to be put away, but it can also be a real saving grace when your sister has just the right outfit-completer you need.

2. Peace and Quiet?

Chances are, if you come from a big family (especially of the Italian variety) quiet is saved for the few moments when most of the family is out of the house, or the few moments after somebody tells a bad joke at the dinner table. With your family around, you've learned to embrace the noise you all make when you're together, and appreciate the quiet whenever it comes.

3. Two Words: Dinner Time!

This can be a crazy ordeal. One (or both) of your parents probably work tirelessly to get a big enough meal on the table, and (hopefully) it's very well appreciated! You might feel the need to scramble to get enough on your plate before everyone else (or have a crazy little brother that does this) but the love around the table is like nothing else. And the kitchen gets a full SWAT team after dinner is over, so the whole kitchen can get all clean!

4. Friends? More like Family!

Making friends are good, but bring them over the house, and they'll get to meet everybody, and leave with at least 5 more friends. In my house at least, a friend to one family member is a friend to everybody, so there's plenty of friends and friendship to go around.

5. Whose Birthday is it this month?

On the first of every month, that's probably the first thing that enters your mind—who has a birthday coming up? Bigger families typically have more birthdays, which of course means, more cake!

6. Every Car is a Clown Car.

Going to Church, going to a concert, going anywhere—you've probably made the joke (or heard it) dozens of times! How you fit everybody into one vehicle (or two!) is a miracle!

7. Laundry Day or Laundry Week?

Lots of people means lots of clothes, which also means lots of laundry! Whether you take turns, or team up, every big family has a system for tackling this seemingly endless chore.

8. Where's the Remote?!

Or, a better question, who has it? One person watching TV means everybody's watching TV, so make it good, and don't be a hog.

9. Neighborhood Name

The whole neighborhood might not know all of you, but chances are, everybody around knows one of you. You wear your last name with pride, and feel like the richest one in town.

10. Family Trips

Are the craziest thing ever! You probably have packing down to a science, with all sorts of tricks to saving space in the suitcase, and the car. But by the time you manage to get everyone away together, get ready for the time of your life!

AND:

11. Endless love

Whether things are bad, or doing great, there's nothing like having fam at your side to share it with you! Big families are a LOT of work, but you know at the end of the day that you wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world.