10 Things For Adults To Do At Disney World

Because Disney's not just for kids.

39
Photo by Park Troopers on Unsplash

I never went to Disney World as a little kid. In fact, I went to the parks for the first time on a school trip when I was 14. Now, just recently, I returned to the place where dreams come true. I recently heard someone ask, “What can adults even do at Disney World?” Well, as a person who never got a chance to enjoy Disney World as a young kid, here’s just a few things anyone can enjoy at the “most magical place on earth.”

1. Expedition Everest (Animal Kingdom)

This ride is everything a rollercoaster should be: terrifying, innovative, and fun. It combines the thrills of a rollercoaster with the horror of a killer yeti. It features steep drops, defies gravity, and a gigantic yeti animatronic. Best of all, it is the only roller coaster in Disney World that goes backward, making for extra fun.

2. Star Tours and the Star Wars Launch Bay (Hollywood Studios)

This recent addition to Hollywood Studios came with the acquisition of the rights to George Lucas’ Star Wars franchise by Disney in 2014. The Star Tours ride is an immersive experience that makes riders feel like they are on a mission in outer space, featuring characters from the Star Wars films. The Launch Bay is more of an attraction allowing guests to interact with characters such as Chewbacca and Kylo Ren, While this is more catered to Star Wars fans, the ride is certainly enjoyable to anyone. And look out: A new park area called Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is landing in 2019!

3. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (Hollywood Studios)

If you’re a thrill-seeker, this is the ride for you. Imagine being in an elevator at the top of an extremely tall building. Now imagine being dropped. The haunted elevator of Old Hollywood is a staple of Disney World, and is certainly the scariest. While this ride is not for everyone, those who enjoy it tend to be teenagers or older.

5. Fantasmic (Hollywood Studios)

This show is fun for all ages. Although it features a lot of princesses and other signature characters that may bore some adults, it is a beautifully-designed show that features amazing water tricks and an epic fireworks display. It is typically the last event of the night held at Hollywood Studios, so Fantasmic is a great way to round out the day.

6. Space Mountain (Magic Kingdom)

This ride combines the thrills of a rollercoaster with the immersive fun of Mission: Space. You can journey through the cosmos in a spaceship featuring stomach-turning drops and hair-raising speed. Space Mountain is definitely recommended to any adult looking for something to do in Magic Kingdom.

7. Kilmanjaro Safari (Animal Kingdom)

If you like going to the zoo or dream of going on an actual African safari, this is for you. You can ride in a jeep while being surrounded by live wild animals such as lions, giraffes, and elephants. It is a more relaxed ride but can be enjoyed by any age group, especially animal-lovers.

8. The Aerosmith Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster (Hollywood Studios)

This rollercoaster is for the adrenaline junkie. Although indoors, it moves extremely fast with drops, sharp turns, and even goes upside down. Furthermore, it blasts Aerosmith tunes while you scream your lungs out. So, yeah, it’s pretty fun.

9. Soarin’ Around the World (Epcot)

This immersive ride makes you feel as is you’re riding an hang glider around the world. It used to just be Soarin’, featuring only scenery from California. Now it has been updated to exhibit all parts of the world. Aside from the 3-D video before you, you feel the wind in your hair, the sea in your face, and your even smell your surroundings. It’s an easygoing yet fun ride that people of any age can enjoy.

10. Avatar: Flight of Passage (Animal Kingdom)

This is one of the newest additions to Disney World, and probably one of the greatest. This ride combines the ideas of Soarin’ Around the World and Star Tours, but in the context of James Cameron’s Avatar film. It allows riders to soar through Pandora o the back of a Banshee, a great dragon-like creature. The 3-D simulation experience is incredibly immersive, and creates the most visually stunning experience Disney has to offer. Be careful though; the wait time for this ride usually exceeds three hours, so you may want to FastPass it.

Before you dismiss Disney World as just another overpriced theme park for kids, realize that there is so much to do there, no matter who you are. Disney World truly puts so much effort into the quality of its parks, making it the most magical place on Earth for everyone.