Summer To Do List

10 Things To Do This Summer

These ten things will add an extra dose of awesome to your summer.

9
10 Things To Do This Summer

Summer is here! And for most, that means an excess of free time, not knowing quite what to do, and binge-watching a lot of Netflix. This summer, I decided that I want to spend as much of my time as possible improving myself and getting into good habits before the school year starts again.

If you're in the same boat, here's a list of ten things you can do to make this summer the best one yet.

1. Set a sleep schedule

It's important to get a good amount of sleep to revitalize your mind and body. Be consistent in setting a time to go to sleep and the amount of sleep you get.

2. Read a book

Look up a summer reading list, or make your own. Not only does reading pass the time, but it can also help keep your mind active and avoid summer learning loss.

3. Take a break from social media

This can be difficult, but having taken a few long breaks myself, I can say that there are definitely benefits. You can become more aware of the things around you, and aware of how you manage your time.

The things you can gain from a social media break are worth the loss, even if it's a short break.

4. Go outside

Spending even a short amount of time outside has been linked to positive health benefits, both physically and mentally. Being outdoors can also boost your energy and awareness. Remember to wear sunscreen!

5. Make time for people you love

Be in the moment with people you actually enjoy being around, as opposed to looking at a screen or hanging out with people that drain your energy.

As important as it is for you to be with loved family and friends, it's just as great of an experience for them.

6. Keep a journal 

Keeping a journal is a great way to inspire creativity and improve communication skills.

It can be hard to get into the habit, but just start writing! If you already keep a journal, try mixing it up and journal in a different way, such as a bullet journal, prayer journal, or a pocket journal.

7. Exercise

I know it, and you know it too. Exercise is hard. But so good, too. That post-workout feeling is amazing. Exercise doesn't have to be intense. Walk your dog, take a run, weed your mom's garden, try yoga. Whatever you do, try every day to get some movement.

8. Keep in touch

I have friends all over the country, and I know how hard it is to keep in touch. If you're thinking about someone, send them a quick text. If you see a meme that reminds you of them, send it. Long conversations aren't required to maintain a friendship.

9. Try something new

Pick up a hobby that you ordinarily wouldn't do. Maybe it's cooking, or gardening, writing, or even birdwatching. Or try a lot of different things all at once. You can learn a lot about the world by trying new things.

10. Create something 

Write a song. Paint, draw or sculpt something. Cook dinner for your family or a group of friends. Grow a vegetable garden. Build a birdhouse. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece. The point is that whatever you make is yours, and the sense of accomplishment feels incredible.

Whatever your summer goals are, doing these things can help you accomplish them. Write them down somewhere. Keep track of how you're doing, and soon enough they can become strong habits that will help you for the rest of your life.