Top Ten Psychology Related YA Reads

Top Ten Psychology Related YA Reads

A list of ten Young Adult books related to mental health and psychology.

1251
Top Ten Psychology Related YA Reads
Motivare

1. Crank-Glass Fallout by Ellen Hopkins

This trilogy beautifully written in a style unlike any other follows the story of a teenage crank (methamphetamine) addict, and the various dangers as she down spirals. This book explains not only how addiction affects the addict but how it affects the family and friends making for an interesting point of view and a great read. In general, Ellen Hopkins is a great go to for thrilling YA reads.

2. Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon

A fantastically uplifting quick read and an intriguing story of a young girl, who is known to be allergic to everything and therefore cannot go outside. She explains her moments of depression, and finally learns the real reasons behind her illness.

3. Looking for Alaska by John Green

The life of young Miles Halter has apparently changed for the better when he is sent off to boarding school, he meets new friends. One he finds a particular interest in is Alaska, a girl who can’t seem to stay out of trouble they trade stories and cigarettes and proceed to pull of amazing pranks until things take a turn for the worse.

4. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

A socially awkward lowerclassmen in High School falls in with the cool crowd discovering new things like friendship, drugs, music, and love. He becomes depressed however when he remembers that his friends will be graduating this year and he will not. Acknowledgement of this slowly ruins his new friendships, and he discovers much more about himself than he thought was possible.

5. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Clay Jensen comes home to find a mysterious box arrived at his house containing tapes earlier recorded by his classmate Hannah Baker who committed suicide a few weeks prior. Should he listen? Should he turn them into the police? What could he have had to do with her death?

6. Get Well Soon by Julie Halpern

The first book in the duology is in the perspective of a young girl named Anna Bloom throughout her extended stay in a mental hospital, where she meets interesting people including, nurses, devil worshipers, and cute boys who listen to The Doors.

7. The Downside of Being Charlie by Jenny Torres Sanchez

Charlie is a Senior in High School who has lost quite a bit of weight over the summer at “Fat Camp” and even though he has changed dramatically other students still call him names. Filled with references to eating disorders, depression, and overall self hatred. The characters dark humor helps to make this book the ultimate mental health related book from the male perspective.

8. I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

This story is one you are not likely to forget, alternating between the perspective of twins Jude and Noah after an unfortunate event separates the twins. Years later their lives begin to change and they realize they only know half of their story and that coming together might be the only way to change their lives for the better.

9. It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

At 16 years old Craig Ginter, due to the stress of his teens, decides to check himself into a mental hospital. Sadly the adolescent ward is temporarily closed and he will have to continue the rest of his five-day mandatory stay with the adults.

10. Hello Cruel World (101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks, and other Outlaws) by Kate Bornstein

To put it simply this book is a humorous self-help book with a list of reasons not to end your life. Including a nicely written forward by Indie Artists Tegan and Sara, the book includes 101 reasons and ways to avoid ending one's life.