6 Telenovelas On Netflix You Must Watch To Improve Your Spanish Skills

Telenovelas are an essential part of Latino culture and watching them will help you to understand us better.

991

Today, it is important to speak more than one language if we want a wealthy professional life. It is not the first time. I have talked with you about the importance of being a bilingual professional. Also, I know how hard it is to learn a second language. It took me at least two years to learn English after I had tried to speak a second language in school.

Watching TV is an excellent way to practice a new language. Of course, it is not the only way, becoming a bilingual requires much more. But watching TV shows helps to improve vocabulary, listening skills and part of the culture of the people who speak the language.

As a Spanish speaker, I can recommend many shows you can use to learn my native language. I am not telling you that you must learn Spanish; speaking any other language is as good as speaking mine. The point is to become a bilingual professional.

In this article, I suggest watching telenovelas. Telenovelas are an essential part of Latino culture; watching them will help you to understand us better. Also, telenovelas are easy to follow, they have many episodes and they are the best. In one episode, everything can happen: two people fall in love, a murder, resolve a mystery, someone can be the son of a rich man and much more.

Here are my suggestions for the telenovelas you can find on Netflix. They are not my favorite ones in the world, but they are still good.

1. “The House of Flowers.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqDaxDioxUY

Crossover de Cine y Series

You can start with "The House of Flowers." It is short and is more a mix of Telenovela and TV Show because telenovelas usually have over a hundred episodes. The main female actress is Veronica Castro, the queen of Mexican telenovelas. The story is good, and the character of "Paulina" is the best. This show is funny, well written and with excellent actors. The story is about a singular family who is the owner of a flower store and through the episodes, you will discover all the secrets of this family.

2. “Pasión de Gavilanes.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8k5PqoXJ9A&list=PLeGeVwH7WCEzEeccRLvQa3z2pxbmgTxJG

Novelas y Series

This telenovela is addictive. You start watching "Pasión de Gavilanes," and I promise you will not stop until you finish it. These days, I am watching it again; even though I know the end of the story, I need to watch each episode of the telenovela. The story is about three brothers, three sisters, revenge and much music.

3. “Rubí.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utIoQAFoukA

Angel Cas

"Rubí" is one of my favorite telenovelas. The protagonist is an evil character. Rubi is an ambitious, beautiful young woman who is capable of everything to become a rich woman. It sounds like a simple story, but it is too well told.

4. “Bolívar”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqdksFoeRiA

What's on Netflix

Simón Bolívar is one of the most important men in the history of the world. He is for Venezuelans and Colombians the same that George Washington is for America. Bolívar had an extraordinary life, and I do not know why we did not make a telenovela about his bio before. "Bolívar" has some historical inaccuracies, but it will help you to understand his life better.

5. “The Queen of the South.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W787oUFaNzg

Telemundo

"The Queen of the South" is based on a great novel of Arturo Perez Reverte (you should read it). This telenovela is addictive, well written and I promise you will not waste your time watching it. There is a second season, but it is not as good as the original telenovela. The story is about a woman who starts in the drug business.

6. “Rebelde.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayaj5XjF62E&list=PLTR7GoRr04z1oI6w21_x-g03Kh4xG89qv

MoonligthBae

"Rebelde" is about a group of teenagers who live in a boarding school for rich people. In the episodes, they start a pop band and become famous. The best of this telenovela is the uniform, the school and the boots. It is the type of school I wish I could study at.

As you see, telenovelas are the best. If you do not want to watch telenovelas to learn Spanish, you can watch them because they have great stories and you will be thoroughly entertained.