11 Things You Can Do To Make Tedious Tasks Feel, Well, Less Tedious

Yes, even washing the dishes can be less dull.
57

If there's one thing that's true of adulthood, it's that the older you get, the more monotonous tasks you'll be forced to undertake.

Whether your job requires you to repeat the same action for hours on end or you've had it with washing the dishes every damn day, there's bound to be something that you're just sick to death of doing.

And these things usually need to be done, even if they feel like an enormous waste of time.

Thankfully, there are some ways to make these tedious tasks slightly more exciting.

1. Listen to audiobooks

Audiobooks have become increasingly popular over the years, and nearly every major release has a recording associated with it these days. So if you're a reader looking to spice up your drive to work, dishwashing or time in the office, head over to Audible or your local library's e-book collection.

Listening to audiobooks will entertain you while you're getting work done, and it'll allow you to increase your reading. It's a win-win, really.

2. Jam to new music

I don't know about you guys, but the older I get, the more I feel like I have to go out of my way to discover new music. It used to be as simple as logging onto Myspace and having a new band pop up. Now, I have this horrible tendency to just blast the same albums I listened to when I was sixteen.

Of course, this is mainly just laziness and lack of time. But most of us can find the time while we're doing chores. So next time you're vacuuming or scrubbing the place down, grab those headphones.

Then head to Pandora or Spotify and find new songs to fall in love with.

3. Play podcasts

Sticking with the headphones-in route, podcasts are also a fantastic way to keep yourself occupied while you do something dull. If you have an Apple phone, there is usually a podcast app already installed. For Android users, it's simply a matter of downloading one.

Once you have a way of finding them, the podcast options are almost endless. There are a vast number of categories to choose from. You can listen to business advisers, fitness gurus, and so many more.

And the best part about listening to podcasts while you work is that you'll be entertained and you'll be learning.

4. Watch Youtube videos

Youtube videos are a great idea for when you're doing something stationary. If you're folding clothes or washing dishes again, you can prop your phone up somewhere and throw on a video.

Again, you can use Youtube for simple entertainment (there are tons of comedic Youtubers out there) or you can use it to gain new skills. Interested in learning Photoshop? Watch a video while you're doing chores. Looking for a new dinner recipe? Find a food Youtuber.

It really is that simple.

5. Catch up on television

If there's a television wherever you're working, and you aren't easily distracted by it, catch up on your favorite series while you're tackling your do to list. Sure, it isn't necessarily as productive as the previous options.

But let's be honest. When else do you have the time? Allow yourself to enjoy it.

6. Study for exams

If you're pursuing a major where the majority of studying is memorization based, you're in luck.

Just place your notes somewhere nearby (even if you can't constantly look at them). Then start reciting them in your head or aloud. You'd be surprised at how well this works.

And you'll be able to pat yourself on the back for double productivity.

7. Review your to-do list

If you don't have exams to study for, you can still be extra productive during mindless responsibilities. Review your to-do list in your head. Plan out your day. If your hands are free, write down these plans.

This will help you prepare for all the goals you plan to smash that day. Plus, there is some evidence that writing your goals down makes it more likely you'll achieve them.

8. Use your phone's recorder to "write"

Do you have something to write? It could be a paper or an assignment for school. It could be a report for work. Or you could just love putting pen to paper - perhaps, you're a blogger or a fiction writer.

No matter what you're writing, you can teach yourself to do it using a voice recorder. It may be a little awkward at first, but it'll get easier each time you do it.

And it'll help you get so much more done.

9. Learn a new language

Have you ever heard of Duolingo? If you haven't, go research it. Because it is absolutely amazing.

Duolingo allows you to learn the language of your choice, giving you a bunch of short lessons to repeat until you've gotten it down. So if you've been wanting to learn Spanish or Italian, this is your chance.

There are also a ton of other apps and programs you can utilize if you're interested in expanding your language skills. And most of them are portable enough to multi-task with.

9. Stretch and exercise

OK, so it's unlikely you'll be able to run a 5K while you're cleaning the house or sifting through papers. Though if you can manage it, kudos to you.

Depending on what you are doing, though, you can definitely try to work some smaller physical routines into it. Even if you take two-minute breaks every so often, it won't prolong your task that much.

But it will improve your health. And you can never go wrong with that!

11. Add coffee

OK, this may not make you feel more productive while you're in the midst of mind-numbing tasks. But it certainly always lifts my mood...