Technology in the Vocal Arts

Technology in the Vocal Arts

Learn how some technologies are revolutionizing the voice

23
Technology in the Vocal Arts
Google

How can the voice be fined tuned with the knowledge of physiology coupled with the skills of technology? What relation could science possibly have to singing? Is there any evidence that supports this out of the box thinking? I ask that you think of these questions as you read through this article. I challenge your mind to build new perceptions on how advancing technologies actively improve the vocal arts. With the topic of vocal science, I fully intend to elaborate in great detail on specific implications of technology in advancing voice quality. Topics I will highlight in this essay include EMG, Voce Vista, and Strobovideolaryngoscopy.

The production of sound involves a variety of mechanisms of collaborated anatomical functions. In particular, there are four key components in producing sound: Airflow, Oscillator, Resonator, and Amplifier. As stated previously, each component is a mere mechanism of collaborated anatomy. The first, airflow, is fairly straightforward and mainly concerns the creation of breath through the use of healthy lungs. Next on our list is oscillator which focuses primarily on the vocal folds, otherwise known as the vocal chords. The third component, resonator, remains centered on the vocal tract. Last on our list is the amplifier which is the precise combination of both the vocal tract and airflow. These are the four basic mechanisms used to control the quality, loudness, and sound of the voice.

Prior knowledge of the vocal tract will provide a strong platform to build and cultivate a strong understanding of the technologies to be discussed. Do not worry if you are not overly familiar with the vocal tract, as this is an all-inclusive article that will provide a strong baseline of vocal knowledge. The vocal tract begins as air is forced from the lungs through the larynx. From there the sound is traveled through the epiglottis. The newly formed sound will move past the pharynx and the soft palate. Followed by the travel of the sound over the hard palate. Finally, the sound will exit through the opening of the mouth to produce what we call a voice.

Although all parts are necessary, the larynx could be easily argued as the main highlight of the vocal tract. Containing the vocal folds, the larynx produces sound through vibration and movement of the vocal chords caused by the controlled airflow flowing from the lungs. It is the vocal folds coming together at the midline forced to separate by airflow creating an opening that releases sound to be amplified through the remaining vocal tract. The opening is distinctly defined as the epiglottis, a controllable sphincter that regulates sound. Forcefully closing the vocal chords often through engaging accessory muscles of phonation can produce negative health effects. This is called hyperfunction. Not only will the quality of sound be hindered, but also laryngeal trauma and polyps could form. On the other side, hypofunction occurs when there is insufficient muscle activity. This will often result in a breathy, unsupported tone. A breathy tone implies the failure for vocal folds to close completely and requires an increased amount of airflow. It is important to note that adjusting the vocal tract through the repositioning of the head can both positively and negatively affect the quality of the voice. The differences of position could directly affect the harmonics and formant, thus influencing the sound projection.

EMG, a vocal science, stands for electromyography. Electromyography technology has propelled the use of technology in developing the vocal art. It was a technology first discovered in 1944 by Herbert Jasper, who at the time inserted needle electrodes into the neck to gather data. However, much to the singers’ relief, the needles have been replaced with simple noninvasive probes.

In class, we had the incredible opportunity to work with Dr. Davis in further investigating the process of electromyography. At first, he explained how the electrode worked. At the center of the bottom, there is a sticky salt solution that conducts energy well. The energy created through the body travels through the salt solution into a metal connector that is attached to a wire. From there we can read the scans of the muscle activity.

For the purpose of our exercise, we had examined the sternocleidomastoid, sternohyoid, and the digastric muscles. Before placing the electrode directly over the muscle the skin was cleaned with an alcohol wipe. Then two electrodes were placed for each location, one to conduct and the other a ground. Additionally, a separate ground electrode was placed. Our class had the chance of testing two subjects, each with different muscle activities. However, it was evident how adjustments to the sound were made through the modification of certain muscle activity. It was also interesting to discover whispering had more activity than projecting.

As we investigated the process of electromyography, the applications become increasingly clear. A teach of the vocal arts potentially has a new way to integrate technology into adjusting the sound. This technology helps pinpoint precise muscles providing valuable insight in how to adjust the vocal tract. EMG is an important process that has revolutionized vocal science.

Yet another technology I am particularly interested in expounding upon is computer program of Voce Vista. Prior to indulging into the science and specific details, I will establish a few mental ­­­connections. Link the word resonance with the quality of sounds. Remember that amplitude equates to loudness. Vibrato can alter the tone with a stronger, richer tone through the slight vibration in the pitch. Take note that legato is simply phrasing vowels that will flow in a smooth, fluent manner. Lastly, remember that vowel clarity goes hand and hand with precise sound. Now that we have properly established a bank of vocabulary words, we will continue to further discuss the technology program of Voce Vista.

In the mid nineteen nineties advancing technologies had brought to light several opportunities for integration of science and art in the creation of voice. One such technology, Voce Vista, played off the newly advanced ability of personal computers to display real-time spectrum analysis. Originally released to the public on the last day of 1996, Voce Vista was a ground-breaking software. It developed through the research conducted by Donald G. Miller and Harm K. Schutte at Groningen Voice Research Lab. Employing both effective use of a microphone and the innovative electroglottograph a software was developed that provided singers with scientific feedback. It is noteworthy to mention that this feedback data proved to be instrumental in measuring the advancement of singing along with the quality of sound.

Voce Vista utilizes spectrum analysis to provide reliable information on the frequency components that determine voice quality and the many vowels. This data has progressed into a strong base of knowledge and understandings. Singers are able to implement and adjust vocal characteristics to maximize artistic value and quality in the professional setting. Donald Miller had boldly compared the advancements of athletic sports to the art of singing. In his comparison, he had outlined the desperate need for collecting precise measurements to be able adequately track the progress of the vocal art. The purpose of Voce Vista is to accomplish quantify the individual characteristics of excellent singing in order to reproduce quality sound for generations.

As I had mentioned previously, the larynx is critical in the successful production of music through vocal arts. With that being said, it is only logical that monitoring the physiological health of the vocal folds is highly important. Strobovideolaryngoscopy is a technology that allows physicians to do just that. How this technology works is very straightforward. Basically, there is a remote-control probe with a camera that enters the vocal tract through either the opening of the mouth or the nasal cavity. However, the epiglottis open and closes at a rate so fast that would be invisible to the naked eye. That is why there is a strobe light that allows the camera to capture a slowed motion of the vocal folds.

When comparing the technologies, it is evident that both Voce Vista and Electromyography are vital in recording and measuring quality data that can be used to reliably track the progress of the vocal arts. Strobovideolaryngoscopy, on the other hand, is more useful to help keep the voice healthy in order to maintain a quality sound. All of these technologies play an active role in advancing the vocal arts.

Hopefully, you have kept an open mind while reading about these scientific breakthroughs in the field of vocal science. Do you now understand the significance of integrating technology into singing lessons? Are you looking to find more technologies? Do not forget there are numerous vocal technologies, I have only discussed three of them. I sincerely hope that you have developed an idea of the extent that these technologies will play in defining a quality, healthy voice that will have the capability to be compared to previous singers on a reliable quantitative measurement. This will hold a great deal of importance in recording the voices in a historical matter. The voice is an art that can be fined tuned with knowledge of physiology coupled with skills of technology.