Technology Has Changed The Way We Date But I'd Really Like To Rewind To The Traditional Ways Of Dating

I'm sick of hearing about people swiping right

109

Have you ever heard about how your parents or your grandparents first met? It's a story you have maybe even heard over a dozen times. Whether you are tired of hearing it or not, there is no denying that the stories told by older generations are drastically different from ones you hear about today.

Quite frankly I am getting tired of hearing the same old narrative of people meeting on Tinder by swiping right. Where has the romance gone?

People used to have to physically ask another person out on a date in person. Much of the interactions were also done in person as opposed to behind a screen. There was a rawness in this process that seems to be drifting away as social media and other forms of technology are the predominant ways in which our society interacts now.

The actual process of dating has become nonexistent in the college setting. Many college kids prefer to say, "We are just talking." The "talking" phase has been extremely pronounced in recent years which indicates a casualness to the relationship which indicates a lack of commitment by both individuals, As a result in this shift, the hookup culture is at the forefront of experience people have while in college. This may be because of the fact that technology is so convenient and easy to use that it does not take much time or effort.

With technology at our fingertips at virtually all times, there are issues between people who are seeing each other. We all know of someone who is overly obsessive and checks the other's social media accounts, scrolls through text messages, and even more. I've heard from many guys that they were with someone who has taken their phone to go through everything to make sure they weren't talking to anyone else or even liking another girl's picture on social media. Come on folks, it's time to stop obsessing and stop worrying about what another person is doing on their phone.

Where has the trust and commitment gone in relationships? It's time to drop the cell phone and utilize the power of interacting in a face-to-face setting when possible. I'm not suggesting that we need to revert back to all of the traditional ways of dating, but sometimes I think it would make life so much simpler. Let's change our minds about what dating is and try to make more connections in real life and fewer matches on Tinder.