5 Tear-Jerkers To Watch When You Simply Need A Good Ugly Cry

Sometimes the best way to cry is through a sad movie, instead of crying about that test you failed.

130
ABC

I haven't been able to watch a lot of movies recently since I have been in school and honestly, I love watching a good tear jerker. When you feel melancholy, what is the thing you usually resort to? I watch my favorite sad movies when I am feeling like I need a good cry and this list was created to hit every feeling in the book.

1. 'Now Is Good'

Now Is Good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOP3Uicg04U

Dakota Fanning and Jeremy Irvine play Tessa and Adam, two young people who found each other in an unusual circumstance. Tessa suffers from terminal acute lymphoblastic leukemia, a cancer that makes a person feel tired, bruised, and can have bone pain. Tessa and her friend, Zoey, create a bucket list of things to do before she passes and that leads Tessa to Adam, who comes to terms with her illness and tries to follow and love her no matter the circumstances. My friend and I still rave about how much this movie means to us and how much it affected our emotions when we first watched it.

2. 'The Fault In Our Stars'

The Fault In Our Stars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn55UgZQC6U

Genius Young-Adult novelist John Green introduces us to Hazel Grace Lancaster, who has terminal cancer and suffers from a life of depression which leads her to meet her Augustus Waters, a survivor of bone cancer who lost a leg because of it. They don't immediately have a connection, but as the movie continues, they start sharing parts of themselves with each other that ultimately leaves them with forever. They go on adventures like having a picnic and even going to Amsterdam. I forever will love this novel and I praise the movie for being a stand-alone classic along with it.

3. 'Call Me By Your Name'

Call Me By Your Name

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjgD2JmD4k-/

It is 1983 in northern Italy and seventeen-year-old Elio and his family welcome Oliver, an American archaeology graduate student studying under Elio's father. Elio becomes infatuated by Oliver and over time Oliver reciprocates his feelings towards Elio and they begin a summer full of romance and secrets. This movie really touched me because it was so heartfelt and heartbreaking at the same time. It is a coming-of-age romance that really takes the extremes that love can bend us to and completely shatters viewers perceptions. I cannot give this beautiful movie justice so please do yourself the favor of sitting down with a glass of wine on a rainy night and giving this one a try.

4. 'Steel Magnolias'

Steel Magnolias

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnqvpFhj6tU/

Steel Magnolias has gained a reputation as probably one of the most profound stories about loss and maintaining friendships. The story focuses on a group of Southern women (an amazing cast of actresses) who face a dilemma when one of them, Julia Roberts' character, suffers from diabetes, and is married and has a child, regardless of her hardship. The story goes on about how these group of women, who all know each other, are able to overcome life's unstable feats and are able to live on through each other.

5. 'The Lovely Bones'

The Lovely Bones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGlYrRNYrUk

I loved this book from the first time I read it back in high school. I shared it with numerous people and every single one that read it said they wished they could read it over and over. Susie Salmon, a teenage girl living in Pennsylvania, is lead by a man living in her neighborhood, down into a homemade bunker, and murdered in it. The story revolves around how Susie's family and friends deal with her death and not knowing how she died. Her dad, played by Mark Wahlberg, stops at nothing to solve her murder while her mother can't wait to move on. Susie left not only her family but a love interest that was just beginning to flourish. We see Susie transported to an in-between world where she can watch her family and friends as she discovers herself what really happened to her. I can't say enough about how much this book and movie affected me as a person and shaped my reality today.