Why Teachers Deserve To Be Paid More

Why Teachers Deserve To Be Paid More

Where would we be without teachers? It's 2019 and it is time for teachers to get the respect they deserve.

396
Why Teachers Deserve To Be Paid More

As the year of 2019 comes to an end, we live in a time during movements where when people have an opinion, they voice it. With that same opinion, when people feel that something is unjust, they stand up and do something about it. 2019 has been a year of standing up for what you believe in and fighting against injustices. I came to realize this just recently when I overheard a conversation in Target while I was in the checkout line where someone highlighted that teachers are just "glorified babysitters" and there is no reason for them to be paid any more than they already are. This was a conversation I heard in the dollar section, a holy grail section for teacher. Two moms were complaining about buying presents for the children's teacher for the holidays. This stranger made me blood boil, but I stood there passively and did nothing about it. When I got into the car, still fuming with anger, I was even more mad that I did not use my voice and say something. Now, I am taking the time to voice my feeling and thoughts into this piece of writing. Teachers are individuals who voluntarily take on the task of shaping the future of our world, one day at a time. Teachers are selfless individuals who pour their heart and soul into their work just so that they can see their students succeed. For teachers to be underpaid and underappreciated is unacceptable in my book. I strongly believe that teachers are treated with a lack of respect from many individuals, including our government, and it is time for a change.

An article titled "Why Teachers' Salaries Should Be Doubled-Now" by Valarie Strauss found in the Washington Post highlighted that: "According to a McKinsey Study called "Closing the Talent Gap," teachers' salaries have declined for the past 40 years. In the past decade alone, salaries have decreased further in 30 states. Had salaries grown proportionally to our classroom spending, the average salary would now be $120,000. Instead, a teacher's starting salary is, on average, $39,000" (Strauss, 2014). These same teachers getting paid $39,000 (on average) are expected to pay bills, support families, buy supplies for their classroom, and provide the best education they can for our children, our future. With the reflection of their salary, getting the best out of our educators just is not possible due to the financial strain being a teacher causes. What are we showing our students if we do not as educators fight for a higher pay? How are we showing them to stand up for what we believe in if we do not fight against our own rights?

Those who are not teachers may not understand the work that is put into being an educator. Teachers often times need to provide resources for their classrooms, supplies for students, create lesson plans aligned to the common core state standards, motivate students, help build a community of learners, etc. Just to name a few, teachers have a lot on their plate and there simply are not enough hours in the day. These struggling teachers are often working another job to make ends meet, meaning that they are not given enough time to curate lesson designed specifically to fit the needs of our students and help aim them towards achievement. WE want what is best for our students, but how can we do so if we cannot be our best due to financial strains? If teachers were paid more, there would be less of a burnout rate and more motivated teachers who had time and energy to curate lesson to help shape our future.

My main point is as follow: Teachers must rise to the occasion, because it is 2019 and we deserve to be valued in our community, in our government, and in our world. I encourage educators to reach out to local and state representatives, attend city council meeting, write a letter to our governor, or whatever it takes to make your voice heard. If you are not an educator, please take a moment to think about all of the teachers that helped you be where you are today. Thank a teacher by standing behind them and showing your support. Teachers deserve to be paid more and respected so that they can help shape the best future possible.

References:

Strauss, T. (2014). Why Teachers' Salaries Should Be Doubled-Now. Retrieved from:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2014/03/25/why-teachers-salaries-should-be-doubled-now/