Teacher Appreciation Week For My Hometown

Tell your teacher's how important they are to you, always.

148

Being home so much these past few months has made me realize a lot about myself. Most importantly, it has made me realize who has had the greatest impact on my life.

I was the kid that hated high school. I had an idea in my head of exactly what it was supposed to look like and when it didn't turn out just the way I had envisioned, I got pissed off. I can't say I didn't like the person I was in high school, but I know that who I was is nothing compared to who I am now. I've grown a lot over the last 2 years and that is in large part in thanks to every teacher I had in high school.

I think about every one of you all the time. There are those of you that I want to make proud and those of you that I am doing everything in my power to prove wrong. There are those of you who I would run up to and hug if I saw you on the street and those of you I would cross the street to avoid. It's nothing personal, I still appreciated you even if I cross the street to avoid you. In some way, every single one of you made me the person I am today, but there are a few people that I need to mention personally.

Smith: You already know I adore you. You taught me more about myself than anyone else. I know some people think you're an ass or whatever, but you're one of the best people I know. When I declared my psychology major, I couldn't help but smile thinking about how maybe one day I could have half the impact you have had on this world. I always used to get so pissed when you used to tell us how we were all going to grow up and forget about you. I promise no one has and no one will ever forget about you. You're someone to be remembered.

Nar!: From the moment I met you freshman year I knew you were going to be important to me. As I sit here trying to put into words everything you mean to me, it's simple: you are the reason I am who I am. You were the first teacher I wanted to see after summer break, you were the teacher I would spend time with just because I could, you were the person I trusted everything with. I don't think you or anyone else will ever understand just what you meant to high school Emily, because you meant more than I even know.

Benke and Murphy: The two best friends. You two single-handedly got me through high school. Some of my most memorable moments were with you two. Murphy, you were my rock. I didn't even care that I looked like a teacher's pet sitting in your classroom after school because I just loved spending time with you. Hudson is so lucky to have you. Behnke, when I saw you last year and you ran up and hugged me, that said it all. You have such a huge heart, but you aren't afraid to speak your mind. I wish I had more time in high school just so I could have taken more classes and spent more time with you.

Bublitz and Frau: Let's just get this out in the air-about 90% of students that pick German instead of Spanish choose German because of you guys. With that being said, when a kid picks German, they don't know that their life is going to be all the better because of it. You two are incredible and should be proud of yourselves. Frau, you are one of the greatest people I have ever known. You have such a big heart and are always there for your students, even if they don't deserve it. Honestly one of the saddest parts about leaving Pier was knowing I wouldn't be seeing you and your family as much. You've built a beautiful life for yourself, one that people look up to. Bublitz, speaking of Pier, I think it's pretty incredible that almost every one of my coworkers knew who you were. I still have both the gratitude letters you wrote to me and they remind me that someone knew I was going to be someone in this world before everyone else did. I don't think some people understand the heart you have. Your "do your job" mentality is still with me to this day. I'm really lucky to know you.

Dez and Ellingson: I had way too much fun in physics and I'm sorry, but I won't apologize for it because to this day we still talk so I must not have been that terrible. Dez, you're my person! Seriously, I remember when you just started teaching and Ben and I saw you at Caribou and asked you to come sit with us; that was one of the greatest bold moves I ever made because our relationship only grew from there. Hudson has made a lot of mistakes, but their greatest mistake was letting you go. I'll never forget when I was having a bad day and you showed up to Pier to check on me. No other teacher would do that, you're truly one of a kind and I am so grateful you found a home in Illinois. Ellingson, we definitely tested each other, but I'd like to think we are both better because of it. You don't try to be someone you're not which is something I respect tremendously. You were a big part of my story for so many reasons, but the big one was how you made me realize that having a big heart isn't a flaw. I look forward to your next chapter.