Taylor Swift's Song "22" Is Exactly How I Feel At The Age Of 22

"It's miserable and magical"
30

When you turn 22 you have the choice to be basic and use Taylor Swift’s lyrics for your Instagram caption. I personally chose to do it because you only turn 22 once and I drink way too much Starbucks to care if people think I’m basic. However, I haven’t only been listening to her song on repeat to pick my favorite verse for my Instagram caption. I’ve come to the conclusion that not only is the song catchy, but T-Swift actually managed to describe how I feel about my life at the age of 22 in 3 minutes and 50 seconds.

Being 22 is being happy with yourself and the world around you. I haven’t been this happy with who I am in a long time. I spent way too much time trying to find other people to make me happy. I finally discovered the art of loving myself and it has made me the happiest I have been in a while.

Being 22 is freeing. I had this moment where I kind of finally realized that my life is mine. I know that sounds crazy because my life has always been mine. But I feel like I’m at an age where it’s really mine. I can do whatever I want to do. Just because it doesn’t fit one of those pre-made molds that society has for us doesn’t mean it’s not the right fit for me. I’m done trying to squeeze myself into a mold that isn’t right for me just because it’s what I was always told it’s the way things are supposed to be.

Being 22 is confusing. I’ve had so many moments of clarity recently about who I am and what I want to do with my life. I have all these dreams and plans for my life that aren’t exactly realistic. When you’re a little kid and you tell an adult what you want to be when you’re older they always tell you to reach for the stars.

But when you’re in your twenties and you actually reach your arm out towards the stars they usually tell you to do something more practical. There is a plan that you’re supposed to follow; go to school, get good grades, get a good job. They don’t want you to sell yourself short but they don’t want you to dream too big either. If this life is mine then why do I still feel like so many people have a say in what I do?

Being 22 can be lonely. At this point in my life, I don’t have a relationship with some people who I thought would always be in my life. Finding out who you really want to be usually results in losing the people who prohibit you from being that person. This sounds like a good thing and it kind of is. I mean, I don’t want anyone in my life who isn’t going to help me grow and be the best version of myself I can be.

At this point, I’m cutting out the negative people. It has made me feel pretty lonely and it’s been hard for to remember that it’s actually for the best. I’m making room in my life for the right people.

I’m looking forward to the year ahead of me. I believe that I am most definitely “happy, free, confused, and lonely in the best way”. Thanks to Taylor Swift for helping me explain how I feel. Here’s to forgetting about the deadlines, dressing up like hipsters, eating breakfast at midnight, and of course dancing like we’re 22.