Taylor Swift: Queen Of Repetition

Taylor Swift: Queen Of Repetition

T-Swift knows the formula for creating record-breaking albums -- it's all in the repetition

836
Taylor Swift: Queen Of Repetition

Approximately 10 seconds after meeting me anyone would be able to recognize that I am the type of girl who really enjoys listening to Taylor Swift. Like, all of the time. Like, since forcing my best friends to drive me to Target the Monday “1989” was released so I could have the three exclusive tracks. I have since, collectively, listened to all 16 songs 218 times. And that was only two weeks ago. Shout out to iTunes for so diligently keeping track of my obsessive nature when it comes to my music listening habits. But it’s okay, because the only person who might be more repetitive than me is Taylor Swift herself.

Here is a tally.

1. “Welcome to New York”

Number of times the phrase, “welcome to New York,” is sung: 29

Mention of coats: 1

Mention of blinding lights: 5

Mention of dancing to the beat: 5

2. “Blank Space”

Number of times the phrase, “blank space,” is sung: 3

Mention of skies: 1

Mention of kisses: 1

Mention of red lips: 1

Mention of scars: 3

Mention of flames/burning: 3

3. “Style”

Number of times the word, “style,” is sung: 11

Mention of coats: 1

Mention of driving: 1

Mention of flames/burning: 2

Mention of red lips: 3

4. “Out Of The Woods”

Number of times the phrase, “out of the woods,” is sung: 34

Mention of driving: 1

Mention of being in the clear yet: 24

5. “All You Had To Do Was Stay”

Number of times the phrase, “all you had to do was stay,” is sung: 20 (Plus six extra, “stays”).

Mention of driving: 1

6. “Shake It Off”

Mention of dancing to the beat: 5

Number of times the phrase, “shake it off,” is sung: 44

Mention of players/haters/heartbreakers/fakers: 77

7. “I Wish You Would”

Number of times the phrase, “I wish you would,” is sung: 19 (plus 31 extra, “wishes”).

Mention of driving: 4

8. “Bad Blood”

Number of times the phrase, “bad blood,” is sung: 15 (Plus one extra “blood”).

Mention of scars: 1

Mention of breathing: 1

Mention of mad love: 6

9. “Wildest Dreams”

Number of times the phrase, “wildest dreams,” is sung: 8

Mention of kisses: 1

Mention of driving: 1

Mention of flames/burning: 2

Mention of dresses: 4

Mention of red lips: 4

10.  “How You Get The Girl”

Number of times the phrase, “how you get the girl,” is sung: 10 (plus six extra, “girls”).

Mention of ghosts: 1

Mention of rain: 2

Mention of kisses: 2

11.  “This Love”

Number of times the phrase, “this love,” is sung: 50

Mention of skies: 1

Mention of kisses: 1

Mention of ghosts: 1

Mention of wildest dreams: 1

12.  “I Know Places”

Number of times the phrase, “I know places,” is sung: 14

Mention of flames/burning: 3

13.  “Clean”

Number of times the word, “clean,” is sung: 11

Mention of skies: 1

Mention of dresses: 1

Mention of rain: 4

Mention of breathing: 4

14.  “Wonderland”

Number of times the word, “wonderland,” is sung: 21

15.  “You Are In Love”

Number of times the phrase, “you are in love,” is sung: 6 (plus five extra “true loves”).

Mention of coats: 1

Mention of kisses: 1

Mention of ghosts: 1

Mention of driving: 1

Mention of dancing to the beat: 1

16.  “New Romantics”

Number of times the phrase, “new romantics,” is sung: 6

Mention of blinding lights: 1

Mention of dancing to the beat: 4

The funniest thing about all these repetitions is that, although there are continuous references throughout 1989 about a certain curly-haired boy-band member who shall remain anonymous, the year Miss Swift was born is not mentioned once. Nonetheless, I feel like this only confirms that Taylor and I could be repetitive besties.

You should go buy the album, too, so we can all listen to it on repeat together.