Taste Your Words Before You Spit Them Out

Your words matter; choose them carefully.

3149
“People may forget what you said or did, but they will never forget how you made them feel.” — Maya Angelou

This is the most valuable advice I can give or receive. The power of your tongue can have an intense effect on how you make someone feel about himself/herself, which is why it is so important for us to be careful of the things we say.

Your words matter. They have the power to make or break people, and if you’re not mindful, they can kill as well. Words have a lasting result; why do you think people get them tattooed on their body?

I think that I can speak for the majority of us when I say that my mind more vividly remembers the negative compared to the positive. The insults or words that hurt me still ring in my head years later, even if I forgave the person. The harsh words you use toward someone will be remembered a hell of a lot longer than the compliment you gave them after you felt bad — remember that. If you don’t think before you speak, one negative comment can shatter someone’s confidence completely. Upset or not, it is never okay to express your anger by saying something cruel. Why? Your emotions will eventually change, but you can’t take back the words you said. I remember every mean thing my siblings said to me during arguments, when my friends hurt my feelings while we fought, and also the stuff my parents said to me out of anger. How many of you can relate?

For the people that say negative things over social media, be careful. You have no idea what is going on in that person’s life at the moment. They could have just found out the worst news of their life, be on the verge of a mental breakdown, or maybe they’re at a very low point. Is calling them a “bitch” for no reason really worth it? What if your insult pushed them over? You never know how much what you say is going to affect someone. I promise there is no benefit to bringing someone else down. I know for sure you wouldn’t like it if someone was trying to tear you down, so enough with the negative comments behind a computer screfen.

The moral of the story is

think before you speak. Before you “teasingly” call someone a name, consider the fact that not everyone will understand the joke, or be in a place where they can handle it. Not everyone wants to hear your opinion, so keep it to yourself if it isn’t nice. After all, your words reflect YOUR character.