Stop Letting Your Body Fry In The Sun, Your Skin May Look Great, But It’s Actually Really Damaging

It's not cool just because it looks good!

14

With the arrival of summer, many of us have undoubtedly had the same, if not a similar, idea: to get a tan because I mean, who actually enjoys the paleness that accompanies winter? The problem with wanting tan skin is that most of us plan to get it done by allowing ourselves to bake in the sun for hours on end.

Admittedly, the benefits do include receiving that extra bit of melanin, but when the side effects are considered, the scales start to tip. For those of you who do not know what melanin does, it assists in protecting your body against UV rays as it absorbs the ultraviolet light, acting as a form of natural sunscreen.

THERE IS NO SAFE AMOUNT OF SUN TANNING.

Did you know that tanning is actually your body's defense mechanism against the effects of ultraviolet light?

As is commonly known, skin cancer is a side effect of sun tanning too often. It occurs because of the way that the UV rays mess with your DNA, but that is not the only long term problem that it presents.

It causes a more rapid breakdown of the natural collagens, which ultimately leads to premature aging. Collagen is a "support structure" for skin, and without it, your skin could become papery, thin and weak. (And let's not get started on the wrinkles!)

It is proven that nothing, and I mean nothing, slows down the aging process more than simply wearing the correct amount of sunscreen when you need to, which is actually, always.

Even if you don't often find yourself standing in direct sunlight, it's better to take the necessary precautions. Having a window in front of you does not change the amount of damage done to your skin.

And that quick walk around the block? The suns' impact on your skin is just as quick.

When you find yourself planning out how you're going to get that delicious summer tan, you should seriously consider purchasing a self-tanning lotion, instead of sun tanning. It is considered to be the only form of safe tanning.

Enjoy your summer by wearing sunscreen and staying under an umbrella!