Why Taking A Semester Off Of Undergraduate Has Been The Best Choice Of My Life.
Education

Sometimes a person just needs a break from college to reflect on their own life aspirations.

76
istockphoto.com

Let's get right too the point. College is nothing like high school. Classes run longer, your schedule and time are all based on your own personal needs and patience, and you're stuck right in the middle of a "Melting Pot" of people from all over the world. Too some, like myself, this brand new sense of freedom and personal responsibility is a chance to prove to yourself that you're capable of surviving as an adult in the real world. Sometimes though, if you (like myself) haven't found your niche of people with similar interest, or take your studies not so seriously, can have a huge impact on your chance of success in college.

College is no walk in the park.

At first I felt like a complete failure when I told the admissions office at my first University that college isn't really working for me. I was a smart kid all throughout high school, and had a perfect group of friends. When I first started college, I thought everything would be perfect. I'll make deans list, I'll be friends with so many diverse sets of people, and that I would be living the typical student life. I was wrong, and that's okay. I didn't really understand that at University, you need to actually talk to people in order too get to know them. I also didn't really take into account how rigorous and fast pace the curriculum was.

Taking sometime to yourself doesn't mean you wont be a successful adult.

Thankfully I will be starting brand new and fresh at a college in my own hometown, SUNY Oswego during the Spring 2019 Semester. These pass couple of weeks have been filed with learning how to adjust back too life back home with my parents and brothers. Everything is so different, and it weirdly feels like I'm starting college again(which I am). Trying to find a job, and making time to catch up with childhood pals are truly unique once you've been hit in the face with the college mentality. However, this time has also brought a lot of reflection of where I want too go in life, what's my place in society, and too know that life in general, is no easy walk in the park. I find myself at a sort of "cross-roads" in life. At only 20, I still have time to figure this all out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm bored. Like all the time.

I enjoy studying. I know.. What a nerd. Ever since I was a young kid, I've always been curious about the world and all of the information out there. While most of my friends are scrolling through Facebook or Instagram, I find myself "chilling" on "Psychology Today", "Quora", or "Buzzfeed" (I want to make it very clear that I'm not the biggest fan of Wikipedia, and neither should you be). So, basically, with all his free time, I have no textbook's to read, or research papers to review, or any papers to type. However, this time should be used to work, and make some extra cash for the next semester and too possibly invest in that new iPhone. Also, if you worked during high school and college, you don't know what its like to just work with no learning. This could be a valuable lessons on time management, and how those scary adults function.

Your Mental Heath is the biggest winner here.

Like I've said before, with no homework, and the chance to make some money and catch up with old friends is the best when it comes to your mental health. As a Psychology major, I'm well aware (as anybody, regardless of major knows) that college is a stressful, and sometimes anxious environment. No matter how smart, or people orientated you are, you will question if college is the best place for you. "Is this debt worth all of this?" "Why am I crying at 2am over a paper that I should've started two weeks ago?" This semester off has given me the chance to learn some coping mechanisms, how to function in society, alone. I'm not gonna scare you and say that, "nobody in the real world could care less about you". That's far from the truth. You are loved, welcomed, and special in your own talents and abilities. There just "social rules" that a person must follow in order to be a productive member of society. Plus, some free time, when used correctly can help a lot on forming the person you aspire to be.

Please, rather it's another College/University, Community College/ or Technical school, go back and get an education.

As anybody in this generation knows, this world is becoming increasingly inter- connected. If you want to be as competitive and well off in these fast changing, yet scary time's, the truth is, a High School Diploma or GED isn't gonna cut it. Even though, I decided that college is the right place for me (I just need some friendly adult reminders), there is many programs such as CNA classes, or your local county Boces, or even a community college that can help you become certified in something that interest you. Preferably sometime related to the STEM field, but always follow your heart.