It’s Time To Start Taking Your Own Advice

To the friend that can help everyone, but herself...

102

I've recently had a lot of time to think about the circumstances that I've been presenting guidance to the people in my life, and it usually came in forms of advice I should have been taking for myself. Whether the advice be on relationships, careers, self esteem or generalized counseling on how to handle one's uncooperative existence, I always find myself preaching it, but never actually performing it myself. I can tell my friends every possible way to leave a boy or ace a class but when it comes to my own lifestyle, my actions persistently fall short. I even wrote an entire article on how to leave someone that isn't good for you, but yet couldn't find the courage to do it myself. It's a common but regrettable attribute to wear, being the friend that's constantly giving advice but never taking their own. Eventually, I realized it's hard to give and especially write advice when you can't even take it for yourself.

Naturally, I've found there can be a lot of benefits from finally listen to the words of helpful choice coming from your own mouth.

Listen to Yourself

Even though the advice your giving isn't immediately directed on your own situation, in many ways it is. If you're great at giving advice for the friend in a rocky relationship, there's probably a reason you're so "wise" on the topic. Likely most of the advice you're giving to others is subconsciously advice someone should be giving to you. Be that someone. Be more attentive on your recommendations to others, and ask yourself, "could I do this too?". You'll end up making solutions to your most agonizing life troubles, with the words of knowledge you've always had in your head.

Trust Yourself

There's no one that understands your own life's most unfortunate circumstances better than you. If your willing to give other pieces of understanding to others, the least you can do is give yourself the same credit. Have confidence in the advice your giving to everyone else, and finally take action with it.

Apply it to Yourself

Write down the same advice you give to others. Record it. Stick it in the back of your mind and leave it there for future reference. Take any precautions of memorization that is necessary in order to take your life's intuition and apply it to yourself. It's time you start taking control of your life, and it starts with actually practicing what you preach.