Taking This Semester's Final Exams Are Going To Be Different Than Past Ones And Honestly, In Some Ways, It's Better

In other words, it's a busy time.

9

Due to the Coronavirus, many schools and colleges are (or already have) moved online after Thanksgiving (some elementary, middle, and high schools not even getting a chance to go in-person) and because of this finals are going to be done online through a computer.

Now, some people may see the title of this article and think "Woah, well how is that better?" Well, for people like me, that like to get as much as they can, done ahead of time, it is. I am currently in my second to last semester of college and with that comes a lot of figuring out what's next and putting together things in preparation for graduation and trying to find internship experience or jobs.

In other words, I am busy (as many in my position are) working towards my future after I graduate.

As of today, I only have two more classes that I need to take finals in before they are done. This is partly due to the fact that I have two completely online classes that I had a paper to write (as the finals) and was able to turn them in early as well as another class that was in-person, but the final was a four-page paper (and could be done/turned in before the due date).

So, what does that leave me (and other students taking courses fully-online) with?

Well, it leaves me with what I feel are the harder two classes out of all of the ones I am currently taking this semester and the nice thing about that is that I can finish up everything else and focus on studying for those two classes. Instead of worrying about five classes, the week of finals, I am now only worrying about two.

Of course, with having classes/finals online (like with everything), there are problems.

One is that students have an easier way to cheat than they otherwise would taking the exam in-person. To help stop the cheating in an online exam, there are ways to lock a browser so if the person taking the exam moves, even a little bit, the test is flagged and personally graded by the professor. I, personally, don't have any experience with something like that, but I have heard stories from friends and classmates about it.

Another way to help mitigate cheating (while taking an exam online), that I have seen is to limit the amount of time someone has to take the exam.

I guess my argument here is that, if a student can (especially if it's writing a paper) get some of their classes (and exams) completely done with, due to the fact that their online, they should, especially if they have other classes that they feel are harder.