Taking Things for Granted

Taking Things for Granted

Happens too much

36
Taking Things for Granted
supportforstepdads.com

Taking things for granted. Whether you want to admit it or not, you've probably done it at some point in your life...I know I sure have, I'm especially realizing how much I do it these last several weeks. For those of you who may not be my friends/acquaintances and don't know what's been going on, I have been in a cast and on crutches since October 2nd. I had an injury that wasn't healing, so my doctor and I decided to try the cast with me being non-weight bearing to see if that would allow the injury to heal.

Since I will have had it on for basically the whole month of October, it's really got me thinking. I'm not able to drive because it's my right foot and of course I haven't been able to work because of...well...the obvious. I've had to ask for rides if I want to go anywhere (my mom is currently down too, so we both aren't driving), otherwise, I'm just at home. While I do have people that I know don't and wouldn't mind giving me rides, I still have to work up the courage to ask them because I feel awkward (that's for a different article though). It made me realize how much I took the fact that if I wanted to go somewhere, all I had to do was walk out and get in my car. Then I realized how lucky I am to even have a car of my own. Then there is the most obvious thing...the ability to walk. To get up off the couch and go out to the kitchen to get something to eat (and to have food to eat), to be able to walk up and down the stairs, and (I'm gonna get real here for a second) not trying to hold off going to the restroom because my body gets worn out by the time I reach the restroom. Speaking of restrooms, we (my mom and I) have one and a half, so there is the full one that's upstairs and then the half one (which we call the powder room) that is on our first floor. So, it's not like I have to go up and down the stairs every time I need to use the restroom and that's why I get worn out. Even changing clothes becomes a harder task, being able to sit/stand/sleep in comfortable positions isn't the same, everything has changed.

So many little things (that used to seem like nothing to me), that I am now realizing I took for granted, and yes, I know I'm not going to be in a cast for forever, but what about the people that don't get the chance/ability of completing these activities by themselves ever again. What about those who don't have a roof over their heads? What about those who don't have food to eat? What about those who don't have a nice bathroom to use? What about those who don't have any of the things we take for granted everyday? "What about ______________?" - you fill in the blank.

I can definitely say that I will being looking at the things I have, as well as the things I can do in a whole new light once I am back to 100% again. No more complaining (whether it was joking or not) because I'm "too tired" to walk up the stairs and get in my cozy, warm bed because not everyone has a cozy, warm bed to get in to. No more saying (even if I don't actually mean it), "We don't have anything to eat" just because we might not have what I want to eat. No more complaining or whining or whatever you want to call it, just no more.

I am so very thankful for what I have, what I can do physically and what my mom has worked hard to help give me and for what she has provided all these years. I, along with others I'm sure, don't always act like we're thankful for what we have. It seems, at least for me, that I always realize what I take for granted after something bad happens to me or someone close to me and I really don't want that to be the case anymore. I want to make sure that I always have in mind how lucky I am to have the things I have and how lucky I am to be able to do the things I do- I hope you choose the same.

Until next time Lovelies XX