Taking A Break

Taking A Break

Everyone needs a break sometimes, so don't be afraid to take one.

43
https://unsplash.com/photos/mi7W_V4slxg
Chris Thompson

Every now and then, you need to take a break. Some people view "taking a break" as reading before bed to wind down, talking to friends or family, or going on a vacation. However, if you choose to take breaks from life, be sure you do them from time to time because they are very important.

If you're very self-motivated and a bit of a perfectionist like myself, sometimes taking breaks can be hard. Sometimes you don't even realize you need a break until everything catches up with you. I have a hard time taking breaks or taking time for myself if I know I have things to get done. If I know I have an assignment due date coming up, I am going to work on that rather than doing something fun with a friend or even reading a book by myself in my room. Being self-motivated is a good quality to have, but you still need to be aware of your limits and not push yourself too hard.

Sometimes you don't realize how much you needed a break until you get one. For instance, my spring break ended not too long ago and I think it was exactly what I needed. I didn't realize how stressed and tense I was until I saw my family again, saw the familiar buildings in my town and especially when I laid down in my own bed. Everything just melted off of me; I felt refreshed. It was truly amazing and I didn't even realize how I was feeling until I got home and really unwound. Living away from home and dealing with the responsibilities of school work can be a lot to handle and it wasn't until I went home for spring break that I realized how much I needed to take a break.

For me, taking a break can mean many different things. I take breaks by listening to music, watching Youtube videos, talking to friends and family and reading and writing. Breaks come in all forms from the smallest to the biggest, but all they can help a person relax when they need too.

When I was home for spring break I mainly used that time to see friends and family. Hanging out with friends that you haven't seen in a couple of weeks or even months is an amazing feeling. Being able to really relax, laugh, and be yourself around your friends is truly a great feeling. I also really enjoyed visiting family members. Catching up with family is always nice and it's important to know what's going on with your family even when you move away from home.

Seeing people I cared about was such a breath of fresh air for me. I didn't worry about homework or deadlines. I just spent my time living in the moment and enjoying myself. Everyone needs to do that sometimes. It's great to be productive and get work done, but it is also important to see the people you care about and talk to them. As you get older, it becomes harder to see friends and family and be in the loop with everyone. That still means you should try though. At the end of the day, when you've stopped doing homework or when you have come from work, you want to have your friends and family to talk too.

All in all, taking a break can mean many different things to different people, but however you take a break, be sure to do it sometimes. Everyone needs some downtime to themselves or time to laugh with friends or family. The experiences you have with people is what you will really remember in life, so be sure to take a break and make time for the people you care about.