How To Take Pictures Like a Half-Pro

How To Take Pictures Like a Half-Pro

Works On Selfei's Too

82
How To Take Pictures Like a Half-Pro
Logan Pittman

We are an image based culture and we see thousands of pictures a day. So what makes any specific photo stand out? Is it the subject matter? Is it the perfect lighting we all chase after? How a photo is taken tells us about the subject and about the photographer. What they're trying to express in this different snapshots tells us about their background in taking pictures, their interests, and, potentially, their beliefs. So how do we all become better at conveying our messages visually?

Subject and Perspective

Our subject is the main focus of the photo and how we present it determines the impact it has on those who view it. To elaborate, even if you are just taking pictures at a family event you can still change the tone of the photo by different angles or by how you frame the picture. Different angles give a variety of perspectives. For example, in this first shot, we have a point-blank view and in the second we have a shot focusing upward on the tree/subject.

These two different views give you a different perspective on the same subject but if you take a closer look you can recognize the differences besides just the angles. The first shot's angle makes it seem like the tree is not quite the focal point but gives us more to view. This can pair with complicated backgrounds. If you want the subject to seem taller and more imposing a verticle shot would work. While the first gives a closed view and keeps the subject the main focus of the picture. This can work well for getting a certain amount of detail and if you want to focus on one particular aspect of a subject.

Framing and Focus

Framing a subject can consist of anything in the foreground or in front of a subject. This can include natural fauna and archways that line the top or sides of the photo. There are people who make their own frames by holding them but this is ill-advised as your killing a plant or using a fake one that looks out of place unless done professionally or on purpose. If you focus on just the subject and keep the background blurred you put a spotlight on the subject alone. Depending on the background this can send different messages. It can convey loneliness or isolation if there is only one subject but if there's a group in can convey intimacy or friendship. If the whole picture is in focus it can run the risk of taking away from the main subject but can give context to any action in the photo.

Dynamic Photos

When you want to present an active subject you can pan the camera till taking the shot This shows speed and movement. When panning the camera or phone make sure to keep up movement even as you take the photo. If you stop as you take the photo you lose the action and effect of panning. This makes the subject seem more dynamic instead of static and unchanging.

To conclude, there are many ways to improve our photo taking abilities. Both professional and amateurs like my self can improve throughout their lifetime.