Tackling the Stigma of Early Hair Loss

Tackling the Stigma of Early Hair Loss

Most of us are aware that as we age, some type of hair loss is expected. Men will often get a receding hairline and thinning hair on the top of their head, also known aspattern baldness.

29
Tackling the Stigma of Early Hair Loss

Aging women's hair can get thinner, and they may see some bald spots as a result.

However, when you start losing hair at a younger age, it is often troubling. While it is normal to shed hair every day, if it falls out more than usual, it can be worrisome and stressful.

Female Hair Loss is Often a Social Stigma

Women who suffer from hair loss face different emotions and obstacles than men. The world we live in places a lot of emphasis on physical beauty.

Famous bald men like Bruce Willis, Vin Diesel, and Michael Jordan are not only loved and admired; they are considered handsome and sexy.

Women, on the other hand, often feel ashamed of their hair loss and attempt to cover it up. Female celebrities wear wigs and hair extensions.

They are considered by many to be the trendsetters in beauty, creating a social construct where women feel unattractive without a full head of hair.

When celebrities publicly speakabout their experiences with hair loss, it helps to reduce the stigma by enabling the non-famous to relate.

Possible Causes of Early Hair Loss

Most hair loss is not associated with systemic or internal disease. However, it is always a good idea to check with your doctor whenever you experience anything new or unusual to rule out any underlying health condition.

• Hair loss may be caused by hormonal changes such as thyroid problems, menopause, and childbirth.
  • Certain medical conditions such as Alopecia, scalp infections like ringworm, and Trichotillomania can cause loss of hair.
    • Alopecia affects the body's immune system and attacks hair follicles to cause hair loss.
    • Trichotillomania, also known as the hair-pulling disorder, can be triggered by severe stress.
  • Excessive stress can wreak havoc on your emotions and your body. It is common to experience some hair loss or thinning following a very stressful time or event. This is usually temporary.
  • Supplements or medications can be a side effect of some drugs such as those used for high blood pressure, depression, and heart problems. Too much vitamin A can contribute to hair loss. Check with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
  • Some hair treatments or styles can cause hair loss. For example, harsh chemicals in hair dye, permanents, and hot oil hair treatments can inflame hair follicles. Tight braids, cornrows, and hair weaves can also damage your hair and cause it to fall out.
  • You are not eating enough protein.
  • Hair loss is often inherited and is called male or female pattern baldness. If someone in your family started to lose their hair at an early age, you are more prone to the same condition.

What Are Some Possible Solutions For Early Hair Loss?

The possible solutions for early hair loss will depend upon the cause and are relatively obvious. For example:

• Have a doctor test your thyroid.
  • Find ways or seek help to deal with overwhelming stress.
  • Eat more protein.
  • Minimize or avoid a tight hairstyle

While there are thousands of unproven products and claims advertised as solutions for hair loss, there are only a few FDA-approved and scientifically proven treatments.

In this article, we will suggest some remedies to try to treat thinning hair. Keep in mind that not all have scientific backing and herbal remedies don't currently have FDA approval.

Always speak with a doctor before trying any home remedy for hair loss.

Eat Healthy Foods

What you eat plays a critical role in how you feel physically and emotionally. Certain foods that may improve hair health are:

• Walnuts
  • Fatty fish
  • Eggs
  • Brazil nuts

In general, fats, protein, minerals, and vitamins will help improve the health of your hair.

Peppermint Oil

In a 2014 study with animals, scientists found that peppermint oil led to hair growth over four weeks.

They measured hair growth by follicle depth, hair thickness, and the number of follicles.

Hair Transplants

Various surgical hair restoration procedures can produce natural-looking and attractive results.

If you choose to go this route, check with your medical doctor first to make sure you are healthy enough to undergo surgery.

Before choosing a surgeon, carefully check out his or her credentials and experience.

It is normal for a certain amount of your hair to fall out daily. Approximately 100 hairs a day will end up on your pillow, brush, comb, or in your sink.

This is normal and part of the hair growth cycle. However, if you start noticing that you are losing more hair than usual, it could be from one of the reasons listed above.

As we already stated, seek medical advice first to rule out underlying health conditions and ask for advice on how best to treat your symptoms.