10 Thoughts Every College Student Has During Syllabus Week

Goodbye summer, hello syllabus week.

40
marykate mclaughlin

.

1. I should probably buy my books 

Syllabus week easily turns into one of the most expensive weeks of the semester. You might need a textbook for every class plus outside books. Instead of paying those ridiculous bookstore fees, try buying books second hand or renting them from Chegg.com or Amazon.com.

2. Where is my classroom? 

The classic struggle everyone has the first week. Even if you're an upperclassman, you still might not know where you're supposed to go. And, you're at a higher disadvantage if your campus is larger making your walk much longer. If you go to a smaller school (like me) you're probably grateful every day that your longest walk to class is only 10 minutes unlike your friend from home who has to take a shuttle in order to get to class.

3. Will my suitemate ever get out of the bathroom? 

If you're lucky enough to live in a suite-style room, you've quickly realized that it can be both a blessing and a curse. Sure, you don't have to use a community style bathroom but you do have to share it and clean it with 4 other people. When it's midnight & you're trying to brush your teeth but you're suitemate has been in the bathroom for over an hour, you'll probably ask yourself if a suite was even worth it.

4. I'm back on campus but I still don't have time to see my friends 

The best part about going back to school? Seeing your friends you haven't seen all summer. But even if you are back on campus, you and your besties might have completely different schedules. You might have all morning classes while your friends are in night classes. Even if you don't get to see your friends as much as you thought you would, you'll definitely start to appreciate the time you do get to spend together even more.

5. I'm so sick of this food already 

It's been 4 days but you're already missing home-cooked meals or your favorite local restaurants at home. Food in the dining hall can get old really quickly but hopefully, you can branch off campus once or twice a week to get something much better.

6. What is sleep? 

Those summer days of sleeping in as long as you wanted to are long gone. It always seems like there are not enough hours in the day to complete everything on your agenda & normally a lack of sleep follows.

7. I should probably go to the gym 

As your sitting in your bed watching Netflix, you might hear that inner voice in the back of your head reminding you that you might want to start working out. Instead of going by yourself, bring your friends with you for motivation and to make working out a little less painful.

8. If I put my earbuds in will everyone ignore me?

You hope that putting earbuds in while doing homework in the library that everyone will ignore you. Sometimes you just need those moments to yourself to get things done.

9. It's the second day of classes but I've given up dressing nice 

You have so much admiration for those people that somehow manage to show up looking nice every day. But, halfway through the first week you probably asked yourself if it's even worth it to dress nicely for class. You like dressing nice but there's just so much effort involved sometimes and your athletic shorts & t-shirts can be just too tempting to pass up some days.

10. Do I know anyone in this class? 

Before walking into your classes, you pray that you'll know someone so you have a person to study with. Hopefully, you know at least one person so that when you need a second opinion on your paper, you have someone that knows the material and can understand the points you're trying to make.