Why Syllabus Day Scares All College Students

"We've been waiting for you."

93
The Odyssey Online

When it comes to syllabus day, it can go one or two ways. It can either go fantastic, or it can go "Why did I sign up for this class?". It went both ways for me on the first day of classes. The first day was a Tuesday so I had only two classes. My first class went amazingly. I loved the professor as soon as I met her, which is really rare as college professors are usually hit or miss. Her class will be difficult, but I think her sense of humor and overall demeanor will make the class a lot more bearable than with another teacher.

My second class of the day came after lunch, so I was already ready for a nap. I walked into the class, and was ready for it to be over with. Now, I'm typically a pretty eager learner but there was something telling me that something wasn't right when I walked in. As soon as I walked in, two girls turned and looked at me and said, "Hello. We've been waiting." I turned back and said hello and sat down. To be honest, I was quite terrified when this happened as it slightly reminded me of The Shining. So, I sat at my desk, refusing to make eye contact with that entire side of the classroom.

Here are my thoughts as this class droned on:

Why am I in here?

Out of all of the sections of this class, I picked the creepiest one.

Do I dare look over there?

Oh no, I almost made eye contact.

Where's the professor? I need a saving grace!

Then, the professor walks in. The classroom is dead silent. You could hear a pen drop. As I sat there waiting for the class to begin and for us to go over the syllabus, it feels like someone is staring at me. I sit there, trying to not give into the will to look. I look over at the girls, and they turn their heads quickly to the professor. So, naturally I turn my head too.

Nothing happened after that for the rest of the class. The only other terrifying event was that the professor gave a lecture on Syllabus Day. *sigh* And it was after I walked out of the classroom that I pulled out my phone and dropped the class and picked up another section. Hopefully a less creepy section.