Are Sweatpants or Leggings Okay to Wear to Class?

Let's stop hating on the most comfortable pants known to man and just wear them.

1318
The Odyssey Online

Sweatpants are the best thing to be created by man. Don’t fight me on this. It is so wonderful to sit in bed all day in sweatpants and relish in the soft, warm comfort they provide your legs. Leggings are similar, but a slightly more fashionable way of wearing sweatpants. I’ve been wearing sweatpants and leggings to school since a very young age, as I was fortunate enough growing up to go through a public-school system where there were no strict rules on what one could wear. Now that I’m in college, I see girls walking around in jeans, skirts, and dresses every single day. If that’s a personal preference, then go ahead girl! But I just want the world to know – it is completely okay to show up to class in sweats or leggings.

There are girls who absolutely despise people who think that it’s okay to wear sweats or leggings to class because they think it looks “lazy” – in fact, there are several Odyssey articles covering the topic – but I’d like to push back against that idea. Sweats or leggings do not detract from the intelligence of a person or what the person has to offer to the academic or professional world. I may look slightly homeless in sweatpants and a sweatshirt, but I showed up to class to learn, did I not?

There’s also the issue of some people not feeling comfortable wearing certain things to class. I know some people who absolutely despise jeans because they can never find a size that fits, or they hate skirts and dresses because their legs rub together weird – whatever the reason, people dress a certain way for a specific reason. I know I always dress with comfort in mind, and when I think of comfortable clothing, the first thing that comes to mind is not a dress, skirt, or pair of jeans. It’s leggings or sweatpants, or some variant of those. This is not to say that I exclusively wear leggings and sweatpants, because I don’t, but this goes to show that people have other reasons for wearing sweatpants or leggings other than that they’re “lazy”. Automatically assuming someone who shows up to class in sweats or leggings is "lazy" is honestly just not the way to go. And hey - if your idea of comfortable is jeans or a skirt, more power to you! Different people prefer different things and that is a part of life. The harder part of that is accepting that others prefer different things than you.

All in all, where what you want to wear to be comfortable and happy with yourself, because you look best when you’re comfortable.