How To Survive Finals Week

How To Survive Finals Week

May the odds be ever in your favor.

31
How To Survive Finals Week
cliparts

Yep. You know that time of the semester is near: finals week. I know I can speak for everyone when I say that a lot of us are physically and mentally drained from this semester. It seemed like this time would never come. Now that it has, summer is quickly approaching. We are all looking forward to those endless summer nights. However, it is important to stay focused until then. These last couple of grading marks will affect the way you end your school year and be crucial to your desired career in a long run. Now, keeping this in mind may seem stressful. Trust me, it is. But it's good to be aware of this since it's the last stretch of the semester. To help ease this process, here are some tips that will help you stay on your feet during this hectic week:

1. Be Aware Of Which Finals You Have For Each Day.

The finals for your class are usually a different time than the regularly scheduled time. Make sure to keep in the back of your mind the date and time for each class you have during finals week. A way to do this is to make a schedule on your calendar, planner, etc. This can help you prioritize what you need to study first, especially if you like to procrastinate (anyone?). Also, this will let you plan what time you want to wake up each day. You don't want to end up missing the final.

2. GET SLEEP!

Speaking about sleep, you need it. Okay, I know you've probably heard this a million times from everyone. But, it's true. Especially from a person who says that she's going to stay up all night to get all her school work done (it never happens... well, occasionally). Back to the point, sleep is necessary, especially during finals week. You don't want to be thinking of your math class when you're taking your chemistry final. If you absolutely need to stay up all night for some reason, take naps after or between your finals. But here's a helpful hint to avoid doing this, if you are productive during the day, you'll get everything done and still be able to get a decent amount of sleep! Yay!

3. Avoid Distractions.

You know what this means: laying off the social media. Yes, I am talking about not checking your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Snapchat when you're studying. Constantly checking these does nothing beneficial and shifts your focus and concentration to something that will not help you for your class. You'd be surprised how fast you can get things done when avoiding doing this. Remember, all your notifications and updates will still be on your phone until you check it again; they aren't going anywhere.

4. Take Study Breaks.

Although it is good to stay focused, it's not good to cram material for your class all at once either. I often hear people study for 12+ hours straight. I find this unhealthy to do. Consequently, you end up being confused which information is for which class that you just reviewed. It's also harder to retain information that way. The best way that I find it helpful to do is to take 15 minute breaks after studying a portion or a chapter for a class. I break up what I need to study for a specific class and depending how much material you have gotten through in class over the semester, do it accordingly.

5. Study With Your Friends.

Sure, it's good to study alone sometimes. However, you can also accomplish a lot of reviewing when you get together with your friends for a study session and also go over material that you may be confused on in that class. Your friends could have a different approach of tackling a concept that you are struggling with, and their concept may be easier for you to understand. Just refrain from gossiping and save it for a study break.

6. Get Up And Move!

There has to be time when you're not studying during finals week right? Well, when you're not, go out and do something active! For my preference, going for a run is the best way to relieve stress and makes you feel amazing afterward from the release of endorphins from your body. I am aware running is not the most favorite activity for a lot of people to do. But coming from a person who used to despise running, trying something new doesn't hurt! There's an infinite amount of possibilities that you can do, too.

7. Eat Healthy.

In correlation with the last idea, what you put in your body does impact how you do academically. Trust me, I ALWAYS get the late night munchies since I prefer to study really late at night. My eating habits can get out of control sometimes, so I can relate to the difficulty of doing this. But sometimes just substituting fruit instead of a chocolate bar for a snack can make a difference. A change in your diet will help you retaining more information while studying.

8. Find A Place To Study.

Find somewhere where you'll be able to get things done, like the library. I personally don't like going there because there's an awkward type of silence that gives me an uneasy feeling. But everyone else I know likes to go there. So, go wherever your calling tells you to go to. Just don't study while laying on your bed. If you're anything like me, I end up sleeping, and well, that isn't exactly going to help you with your finals. Does it?

9. Socialize.

I definitely have a bad habit of not doing this during the most stressful time of the semester, but it's for your own good. Make sure you schedule a time to meet up with your friends, especially if you plan on studying alone for the duration of this week. It prevents you from going insane, and allows you to vent out to each other. I know that a lot of schools try to plan events throughout the day (including free food). Use that opportunity to get to do something fun with your friends and possibly meet new ones! It's a good way to ease stress for a little while, too. PLUS, IF IT'S FREE FOOD, DON'T MISS OUT ON THE OPPORTUNITY!

10. Call your mom.

This probably applies more to you if you're in college. Don't lie to yourself and say that this isn't true. Sometimes you just need someone to comfort and tell you that it's all going to be okay. Who does a better job of doing that than your mom? I thought so. So just do it. You know you want to.

11. DON'T PROCRASTINATE!

Last, but certainly not least, DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! I know that we all do this at some time in our lives, especially this week. But these last couple of days can make or break on how you do this semester. I know, the struggle is real. But just stay positive and determined. All of us have to go through the same thing. We'll all get over it. Just imagine seeing your final grades and feeling proud of yourself that you pushed yourself until the end. Now, wouldn't you want to feel that? It'll be worth it. I believe in you.

Well that's that. I wish the best of luck for all of you during finals week. Let's all end in a good remark this semester.