Steps To Surviving The Job You Hate

3 Steps To Making The Job You Hate Into The Job You Love

Learning to love the job, in three simple steps.

12

You apply for a new job to take on this summer. You go into the workplace, feeling all confident, ready to ask if they are hiring or not. Well, they are hiring, but they tell you to go online to apply. They ask for your name so they can look out for your application and then you leave. You go home to apply online. A week or two later, you get the job. You go into your first day, feeling ready and excited, only to find out you hate your job after your first shift. You don't want to quit because then you will have to do another full process of applying and being the "new girl" or "new guy" at work. So, what do you do now?

Be the best employee that place has ever seen

Pulse Spikes Do whatever you have to do in order to be the best. If they ask you to outline a letter, you outline that letter twice. If they ask you to restock the shirt drawer or the pantry, you restock everything they tell you to restock and restock everything they didn't tell you to restock. I know it sounds like a lot, and it is, but I have learned that doing your part and more helps the workplace you are in and encourages your co-workers to create a conversation with you. If you are working on something your co-worker was assigned to do, and they tell you that you "really don't need to do that," simply insist that it really is no bother to help them out a little. This will cause that co-worker to admire you and want to spark a friendship with you, making work to be more enjoyable instead of something you hate.

Break the ice with co-workers

workers cleaning windows

You never know who you are about to work with when you first get to your new job. However, this is a good thing. This gives you the opportunity to be yourself and make new friendships at work. A few things you can ask your co-workers are: Where are they from? Are they in college? If so, what college do they go to? What do they like to do? These ice-breaking conversations can help you be more open to talking with your co-workers. As a co-worker myself, I feel nervous to talk to new people, too. Being the one to ignite the first conversation really helps your co-workers know that you are wanting to get to know them. Trust me, no one likes a new person at work who doesn't talk.

Don't identify yourself through work

office desk Remember, you are more than what you do at work. There is always a story behind everyone outside of their jobs. It is truly important to remember who you are, and don't lose yourself in your job. Everyone has a story and an identity they hold. Don't be someone you are not while you are in the office.