Surviving General Admission Concerts

Surviving General Admission Concerts

Tips on how to survive and enjoy a general admission concert!

125
Surviving General Admission Concerts
Megan Branch

General Admission concerts are a double edged sword, in many ways. Many people may prefer GA concerts to normal concerts because they prefer the unrestricted nature of them. You don't have to pay hundreds of dollars for pit tickets or just for a decent seat at the venue. Depending on your ability to weasel yourself through a crowd, you could pay the same amount for front row as someone in the back row. However, these concerts have their downfalls as well. Here are some of the cons and how to survive them.

1. Show up early

I'm the type of person to show up to any concert I'm going to several hours in advance. General Admission concerts are different, though. You don't have an assigned seat that you paid for and is promised to you no matter what time you get there. So, whoever gets there first gets the place of their choosing for the entirety of the concert, assuming they're assertive enough to stand their ground and not get pushed around.

2. Bring water and cash

One downside? There aren't chairs. Since the point of the concert if for people to get as close as they can, chairs tend to just get in the way. If you're arriving early for a better chance at a good spot, you need to be prepared for a lot of standing, and if it's outdoors, in the hot sun, and also pressed up against strangers. Around 15 people passed out at my last GA concert because of the heat and lack of water. So bring water bottles or, if the venue doesn't allow outside drinks, bring plenty of cash to buy the overpriced water at the venue, trust me, it'll be worth it to stay conscious.

3. Don't fight for the front unless you're committed

At my first GA concert, I fought for the front row and made it, and I enjoyed it a lot, because I was really into the artist. However, at my second, I'm not sure if I just wasn't a big enough fan or it was just much more difficult, but I couldn't make it past maybe the 15th row. Pretty good, yeah, but it was not worth it. You will end up shoulder to shoulder and back to stomach with people you don't know, you'll all be sweaty and sticky, and it feels about 20 degrees hotter when you're packed like sardines. I couldn't even raise my phone to take pictures of the artist. Decide if the artist you're seeing is worth that or not before you even go. If they aren't worth being packed like sardines, maybe you don't need to show up that early.

4. Don't expect everyone to be respectful

Here's the reality, everyone there would like to be close to the front. Some will try harder than others. Some will do whatever they have to to get closer, which the only real way is to push yourself through. So, if you find yourself at the front, don't be one of those people that complains about pushing and lack of personal space. That's what the front is like, you knew that going in. Endure it and try your best to hold your spot! Good luck!