Surviving Finals Prep and Week

Surviving Finals Prep and Week

For all the work leading up to finals, you need strategies to survive.

9
Surviving Finals Prep and Week
Bettina Brown

If you’re a college student, you know the next couple of weeks are going to be lethal. You’re probably already stressed out about everything you have to do. While you’re busy kicking butt, make sure you take care of yourself. Here are some simple ways to practice self care while you’re busy.

• When you eat, only eat. Instead of scrambling to force pasta down your throat and comprehend Aristotle, give your mind a rest. Put the book down and enjoy your food. You’ll give your mind a rest and be a bit more relaxed when you’re done.
  • Bathe. When you’re deciding what to skip in order to make more time, try to make time to practice good hygiene. Take a hot shower and let the heat relax your muscles. If you’re tense, you’re more likely to get sick.
  • Drink water. If you’ve had 5 cups of coffee and are falling asleep, you probably need water.
  • Reward yourself. At the end of finishing your lab or paper, get a pizza. Read a poem, see your friends, go for a hike. You worked hard. If there is nothing good at the end of your labor, you’ll end up hating it and burn out.
  • Make your work environment nice. Wherever you spend time slaving over assignments should be cozy. Light a candle, fix the lighting, bring a snuggie, wear cozy slippers.
  • Do something slowly. Walk to class slow, drink your coffee slower, brush your teeth slower. In the midst of your rushing, slowing down, even just making a 5 minute walk to class a 7 minute walk to class, can be incredibly refreshing.
  • Sit outside. Whether it’s 60 or 6 degrees outside, make time to be in nature for 10 minutes sitting. If it’s cold, allow yourself to be cold. Notice the sun or stars. Breathe. The 10 minutes you spend outside will clear your mind and keep you productive.
  • Sleep. Your body can’t do anything without this. If you can’t get a good night’s sleep, take short naps. If you can’t nap, lay down and let your mind rest.
  • Breathe.

These next couple weeks will be taxing, but you can make the best of it and come out more emotionally, mentally, and physically stable if you practice self care.