Tips For Surviving The Holidays If You’ll Be Spending Them At Work

6 Tips For Surviving The Holidays If You're Spending Them At Work

Basically, the key to survival is lots of food.

36
https://www.flickr.com/photos/danaberlith/4207059574/in/photolist-7pLheU-3CKKEE-EqQZob-v9a4E-qC5SjH-dCGrFz-dEBxxd-bo5ffU-6robm-5NhXis-Vt42A-dFV7mk-iEh3nW-7qn7q2-93Q5T1-b2NCd8-9fcGFW-5LvxB1-dETKms-4crC1z-4gGohb-5SXdkk-hVZGmf-j8hzJw-7qmpeK-epYFuJ-4hA67c-29EkJGe-8XV8nS-7tineU-CtAtuH-ipVMNM-4gogmz-bm1PF6-97AAcz-HvEZUS-5KGt3B-99hxcM-7jeSnb-5NpVTB-4fGFXe-dLst9y-hYkb3t-C8qREs-5QnMDa-7chs1x-4hkkUj-4fBkjx-4WKEwx-5T2yj7
Dana Berlith

Spending the holidays at work sucks, but these survival tips can make it suck a little less.

1.  Bake goodies to bring to work.

Not only is baking fun, but then bringing them to work to share with others AND snack on during your shift is pretty much the best. Everyone will tell you they taste great--even if they don't--because its Christmas! So bust out those recipes and get to baking. If you're lucky, other coworkers will bring sweets in too, and you'll be set for your whole shift. Hooray for Christmas sweets!

(I'm gonna go ahead and put a request in for some snickerdoodles if any of my coworkers see this. Thanks in advance!)

2.  Add some holiday flare to your uniform.

If you work in a strict-ish workplace, holidays are probably the only time you're able to add some extra magic to your uniforms. So relish in it my friends. Walmart is selling $1 light up necklaces and Christmas earrings. I also found the CUTEST Rudolph scrunchie. So let's go all out. I'm talking Santa hats, reindeer ears, holiday socks--the whole enchilada. If we can't be with our family on Christmas, we might as well look cute and festive af.

Plus think of the cute pictures you'll take with the handful of coworkers you actually like.

3.  Bring cheesy Christmas movies to watch.

Picture this, an iPad set up in the back playing the cheesiest Hallmark movies all night long. You and your coworkers gathered all around getting your Christmas on. It'll be perfect.

I mean, it's gonna be so slow anyway. Might as well have some fun with it.

4.  Organize a potluck.

Have everyone bring in a dish for a Christmas dinner. It's a super easy way for everyone to celebrate while also creating an opportunity for everyone to share their Christmas traditions. Hella bonding opportunity if you ask me. Plus you can't go wrong with food. Food makes any day better.

5.  Guilt trip your customers.

This especially applies to my friends working in the service industry this holiday. Though I would suggest doing this sparingly, there's nothing wrong with dropping a few subtle comments about being stuck at work for the holidays. Hopefully it helps your tips while also being entertaining enough to help you get through your day.

Complaining is therapeutic, right?

6.  Remember that your coworkers are all in the same boat.

At least you're not stuck at work alone. Even though it sucks, you're surrounded by other coworkers who are going through the same frustrations. You have each other to vent to, complain to, and lean on to make it through your shitty holiday shifts. Plus it's another opportunity to learn more about the people you work with--who you spend so much of your life with. It sucks to be stuck at work for Christmas, but at least you have each other.

We're all in this together.

And at least if you can't be home with your real fam, you still get to spend it with your work fam. And that's still better than spending it alone.