I Survived The First Week Of Student Teaching

Here is what I learned.

11

Week one is officially in the books!

I am exhausted, excited, surprisingly emotional, and anxious to keep up the pace.

In five short days, I've already learned so much that I want to share - but we'll start with five.

1. All kids have their moments. 

Good moments, bad moments - they come and go and flip with absolutely no warning. You can't always pinpoint if something happened either, you just have to roll with it!

2. Your CT is literally your best friend.

Even after school hours I find myself wanting to talk to her about something or ask more questions. Your CT becomes your go-to and an essential teacher in this process.

3. As hard as it is, you cannot let one child define the day (the lesson, the classroom atmosphere, etc.). 

They will try, but keeping your composure and remaining calm and collected is one of the most valuable tips I have learned this week. Remember, you have 16 (or however many) other children in the room who still need you!

4. If students aren't grasping what you're trying to teach, mix it up a bit.

Teaching is so much of being on your toes and ready to switch gears - you have to go in each lesson with at least one backup plan.

5. Take care of yourself. 

Make sure you're eating a substantial lunch. Make sure you're staying hydrated. Make sure you're getting enough sleep at night and eating a good dinner. Eat something in the morning so your stomach isn't eating itself and you can focus.

I can't wait to see what the rest of this experience brings me - I'm already dreading leaving my sweet kiddos in six weeks so I'm trying my best to embrace it all and learn from every moment.