how to make the most of a summer internship

4 Tips To Surviving Your Summer Internship When You're Nervous, Worn Out, And Stressed

4. You fill time, not the other way around

76
woman talking on cell phone
https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-wearing-white-top-holding-smartphone-and-tablet-864994/

Like many of my friends, this week marked the beginning of summer internship season for me. While I was incredibly excited and grateful for this opportunity, I was also a little bit nervous. In the past, I had issues with internships just being a fancy cover up for 8 hours of clock staring. Nevertheless, the internship I have now has so far been a great experience, and I have some tips to make the rest of the summer just as enjoyable.

1. Remember why you're there

Every time I catch myself wishing I could sleep in, I remember why I wanted an internship to begin with. Internships are great opportunities to learn more about prospective industries and to get a feel for the working world. By practicing your professional skills now, you can ensure future success! I view an internship as an investment. The harder I work, the more I invest, and the more benefits I will reap professionally and personally.

2. You can learn something new everyday

Go into your internship with an open mind, and be prepared to take a lot in. Don't be afraid to talk, and get comfortable with asking questions. Even if you are asked with the same job every day, you can always learn something new. For example, you can truly invest yourself in your work to can create better, more efficient processes.

3. The skills you pick up can be applicable to other parts of your life

Even if you are assigned something mundane, like filing, the organizational skills you gain can be useful during the school year.

Yes, we have all been guilty of the clock staring I mentioned earlier. Let's face it, sometimes it's hard to transition from your schedule at school to an 8-hour workday. But, you are responsible for making the most of your day. Therefore, it is imperative to understand that you can make time go faster by being productive (even if your internship is boring, you can still do this).