Survival Guide: Oktoberfest

Survival Guide: Oktoberfest Edition

It's dirndl szn, baby.

85
Survival Guide: Oktoberfest Edition
Julia Hart

It is Spring and you have decided you are going to study abroad in the Fall. You will be travelling Europe without a care throughout August, September, October… wait… this means... Oktoberfest! Without a doubt, Oktoberfest hits the top of your list. What could be more exciting than drinking beer in fun costumes with Germans? Probably nothing.

If you are like my friends and me, a flight to Munich, Germany is the one thing you feel you absolutely MUST book before arriving in Europe (even if this is against the strongly-worded suggestion of your program director to wait until arriving in Europe to plan any travels). The flights are maybe not-so-cheap and you feel confident that it will be the best weekend of your life already. Reflecting back on my weekend spent in Munich, I feel that it is only fair to share my experience with you, as I went into Oktoberfest completely blind.

So… Do your research and know BEFORE you go!

Dates of Oktoberfest: Contrary to popular belief, Oktoberfest is not really just an event for the month of October. In fact, I went on the last weekend the festival was held in October, which was the 5-7. The first date was September 22 this year and "Beer Serving Hours" were week days from 10 AM to 10:30 PM and weekends from 9 AM to 10:30 PM.

Tipping: I am not used to tipping in Madrid, but the tipping culture in Germany is a little different. In restaurants, locals tend to tip 5-10% and round up to the nearest Euro. Some of the waiters noticed we were American and asked for a larger tip. This was awkward, to say the least.

Plane Tickets: Even if your program director suggests waiting, plane tickets to Munich get crazy expensive the closer it is to Oktoberfest.

Purchasing a Dirndl or Lederhosen: The purchase of a dirndl, for girls, or lederhosen, for men, though not essential, is highly recommended by most Oktoberfest frequenters. Dirndls tend to be fairly expensive (a nice one ranging anywhere from 60 to hundreds of Euro), so you have to think it through strategically. Do you have a friend going to Oktoberfest a different weekend that you could hand it off to? Splitting the price of the dress takes lots of pain out of the purchase. Another option is buying a used dirndl from a friend who has already been to the festival. Or, if you can't seem to make either of those work, there are lots of websites that sell authentic dirndls, such as dirndl.com or alpenclassics.com, for reasonable prices. This way, you can purchase the exact pattern you want and maybe even sell it to someone else the next year. Also, Amazon has some gorgeous ones, though you should know that many are made for Halloween and anything above the knee tends to look less authentic. Finally, if you didn't think far enough in advance, consider buying either a costume at the train station. The prices I saw were very reasonable, though there's not a huge selection in terms of style.

Shoes: Wear comfortable shoes! You will be on your feet for about 12 hours, so plan accordingly. People also tend to get very excited at the carnival and run wherever they go (or that could just be me?). I wore sneakers with my dress. That probably was not the most fashionable choice, but I definitely didn't regret it. Most of the German women wear ballet flats or modest heels.

How to Spend Your Weekend: Most likely your time will be best spent if you plan a single day at the actual festival and the rest of your trip exploring the city. You are in Munich after all! It is a city full of vibrant culture, history, and great food. You should be aware that your day spent at the festival will be long and tiring, even if you might not feel it at the time. My group decided to spend our first day at Dachau Concentration Camp, Marienplatz (the center of the city which has the stunning Town Hall), and finally with a traditional German dinner of bratwurst with sauerkraut and weiner schnitzel. After the dinner, we popped into the festival for an hour or so to get the lay of the land and ride a few of the festival roller coasters and swings (when we weren't stuffed with pretzels and beer).

The Festival Itself: Before getting to the actual event, I did not realize that it was just a huge carnival. There are rides as well as the typical beer tents that you often imagine. Pro tip: go on the rides! I swear you will have the best time of your life. I do not think I have ever laughed so hard.

Tents: There are 14 main tents which each fit between 5,000 to 11,000 people- each with a totally unique vibe, different from the last. While some are focused on the food they serve, some cater more toward families, and one even serves more alcohol than just the typical beer. To begin the day, my group got a table at the HB tent, AKA Hofbrau-Festzelt. This one is one of the largest tents and is a favorite for Americans (specifically students studying in Europe for the semester). I would suggest going here, purely because you are likely to find a long-lost friend from elementary or middle school you thought you would never see again. Along with finding one of my closest friends from my preteen years in this tent, I also ran into my cousin! It's a small, small world in HB tent. After that, definitely spend some time exploring other tents, but know that, depending on the crowds, you may not be able to re-enter the first. Ask Germans which tents they like to hang out in and take their suggestions. Germans are a good time to be around. That's all I have to say!

The Beer: All of the "bier" that is served at Oktoberfest comes from Germany's six breweries: Paulaner, Spaten, Hacker-Pschorr, Augstiner, Hofbrau, and Lowerbrau. I am personally not able to distinguish most beers, but the beer at Oktoberfest was pretty tasty. The beer comes in 1 litre jars for 11.50€. Please pace yourself. Please eat lots of pretzels. There is no entrance fee for the festival, so all you have to pay for are the beers, the pretzels, and the rides (about 8-10€ each). EVERYTHING IS IN CASH. BRING COINS AS WELL!

Arrival on the Day of the Event: Find an Airbnb, hotel, or hostel ideally within walking distance from the event so you can get there early, as the line grows pretty quick. The gates open at 9 AM while the line starts to form around two hours before. Who wouldn't want to pregame Oktoberfest at 7 in the morning??? Have a game plan so that, as soon as the gates open, everyone in the group knows exactly where to run to. Also, if it's cold outside, purchase a cheap long-sleeve shirt or sweatshirt to wear in the line and toss later on in the day.

Group: In my opinion, it is most fun to go with a large group of friends. I spent the weekend with 10 friends from Villanova. We rented an Airbnb together and went to the carnival as a huge group. It was really exciting to see friends, think back to the good old times at Nova and maybe even get excited about returning in the Spring. Buttttt… with a group that big, there is no chance you will stick together. Have at least one friend you are with the entire day. We made sure to use the buddy system and everyone was safe the whole day.

In short… Drink lots of beer, stick with a friend, be safe, and love every second of the wonderful weekend that is Oktoberfest! Prost!