To Those Seeking Education Degrees, I’m Rooting For You

To Those Seeking Education Degrees, I'm Rooting For You

Don't stop now, the world needs teachers like you.

542

People often ask me, "Why are you paying this much money just to be a teacher?" And my honest answer is, the career is as rewarding as it gets.

As I'm in the midst of receiving my education degree, I'm learning more and more about my career field every day. Just like any other profession, there's pros and cons; but the bright and cheerful smiles on kids' faces, warm hugs, and the special moments in between make every second count.

Thinking back to your childhood: who taught you the alphabet, how to read your favorite children's books, how to tie the laces on your tennis shoes or how to resolve fights at recess with your friends? Some may say their parents or older siblings, but for me, it was my dearest first-grade teacher, who's kind and gentle personality still holds the most special place in my heart.

Every person on the planet has at least one favorite or most memorable teacher they've had in the past. Maybe it's the teacher that sat with you as you pointed to each word in your favorite book as they read aloud to you, or maybe it's the teacher who you felt actually valued your opinion and had the best listening ears. I remember many of my educators in the past who did these certain things for me; and today as a college student, I reflect on these times and realize the importance and impact that educators have on our society.

To those of you who feel belittled to tell others you're studying education, or don't have enough support to push you to pursue this degree; this is your sign to keep going. You're on the right track. At times I feel the pressure of my peers or certain family members looking down on me. I've heard everything from, "You're too smart to go into education!" to, "Why did you choose Butler for a teaching degree?" As hard as it is to see past these ignorant comments, I remember who I'm doing it all for - the kids that need me.

Don't let anyone make you feel less than or irrelevant for picking "the easy major."

Since the common stereotype within our society is that education majors have it the easiest with the least amount of work, I'm here to tell you that it's not always fun and games (or coloring).

Contrary to popular belief, a teacher's job isn't over at the end of the school day. From planning rigorous lesson plans every night, keeping up with grading, following each and every detail of state standards, tracking the academic well-being of their students, and so much more; teachers do it all. And what other major gets dumped into the real world as early as the start of senior year to start their practicum?

Without pursuing my degree in education, I wouldn't have discovered the pure love I have for children, or my desire to constantly connect with other people. And I wouldn't want it any other way.