"Supernatural" Fans Shine A Light

"Supernatural" Fans Shine A Light

Fans of the hit show "Supernatural" held a candlelight vigil for Jared Padalecki

12
"Supernatural" Fans Shine A Light
Jared Padalecki

Fans at San Diego Comic-Con held a surprise candlelight vigil for a star at the "Supernatural" discussion panel, which was held in the famous Hall H., in a show of love and support for this actor who has endured recent battles with depression, including an incident in May. Jared Padalecki canceled appearances at events in Rome and Italy shortly before asking fans to tweet love and support with the hashtag #AlwaysKeepFighting. This led to much worry and speculation among fans, but it was soon revealed that the actor had suffered from exhaustion.

Doing what he felt he needed to, the actor took time away from his busy schedule to spend time with his family and recuperate.

Padalecki was stunned at the tribute on July 12, needless to say. In an interview with E! Online he said that it was difficult not to cry. "It took everything in my power not to cry. It's stuff that I have dealt with and I'm still dealing with, so it means so much to me. I hope the fans feel support from me the way I feel support from them."

It comes as no surprise, however, that he is on the receiving end of so much love and support. He has spent time and effort to raise awareness about depression and inspiring those who also suffer from it.

Earlier this year, Padalecki revealed to Variety Magazine that he, like many other people in world, suffered from depression. He was diagnosed back when they were shooting season three of the popular show, "Supernatural." In March, he suffered a severe panic attack while on set, but instead of letting it hold him down, he decided to turn it into a positive. He developed the slogan "Always Keep Fighting" that he would use to keep himself going.

Taking a page out of "Arrow" star and outspoken F--- Cancer advocate Stephen Amell's book, Padalecki started a campaign also called "Always Keep Fighting" which raised money for the non-profit organization, To Write Love On Her Arms, a group that helps those struggling with depression, suicidal thoughts, and self-harm.

This wasn't the actor's first foray into charity work, but it was his first doing a T-shirt campaign. He told Variety that he had been wanting to do one after Stephen Amell's highly successful fundraiser for F--- Cancer. Padalecki believes that it is important for people to know that it is okay to struggle and to never feel ashamed for needing help. "I hope [the "Always Keep Fighting" campaign] helps people realize that they shouldn't be ashamed of what they are going through... I hope it helps people take pride in the fight that they have been fighting, and gives them a push to never give up or give in. I hope it helps inspire people to keep fighting, no matter how hard it is."

Depression affects almost 10 percent of the population in a one year period. It is no secret disease, but is one that is met with a stigma. The conversation was opened with the death of beloved comedian and actor, Robin Williams last August. As more light is shed on the issue, hopefully the world will quite losing people to this debilitating issue.

I am no stranger to it myself. I have friends and family who suffer from depression. I firmly believe that it does not make you any less of a person, so if you or someone you know is struggling with depression, tell someone and get help.

Remember to always keep fighting.