Letting Go of Superman

Letting Go of Superman

It's been months and I just wish we could have been normal all along.

26
Letting Go of Superman
Daryen Faith DeVito

Everyone has that one ex that will always live inside of them. The one that keeps your heart open and raw. For months, I think I've tried almost every outlet to fill the void that I now carry around. I went out, talked to different guys (but refused to date anyone), hung out with some of my greatest girlfriends. But every single morning, I would wake up, look at my phone and realize all these happy moments were momentary and the one person who made my heart happy was forever gone.

Our relationship was unique; we met one night and instantly connected. We spent six hours talking in front of my driveway. There was no conversation we didn't have in that timeframe, we spoke of our families, our dreams, our jobs, our friends, everything. We got along, we vibed, we laughed, so much so that he invited himself over for breakfast the next morning.

We started dating, talking every chance we had when we were awake and falling asleep on FaceTime together when we weren't, ultimately moving in together. There wasn't a move either of us made that the other didn't know about. We shared locations on our phones so I knew if he was in trouble. I was a Marines girlfriend, I wore that title with honor and I wanted to respect him, as he was a man serving my country.

With this particular ex, I was more open, more loving, more compassionate, more loyal to him than I ever have been to anyone before. He was an essential part of my life. When his military contract was over and we physically lived together, we had a routine. I woke up in search of him, finally having him beside me instead of through a piece of plastic. Instead, I would find him eating breakfast with my son. I would go back downstairs to get ready for work and hear the boys saying "goodbye," because he was taking my son to school. I would rush to get ready and he would say, "I'm going to drop you off today," so we could spend an extra half hour together on my way to work. I loved our relationship endlessly.

I loved the way his eyes glowed. I loved the way his mouth curled when he laughed at my jokes. I loved how he treated my son. I loved the way we spoke to one another and represented each other. He called me his Wonder Woman and he was my Superman. Just like these fictional characters, we conquered all battles together, except our own.

For whatever reason, we ended. It's six months later; I haven't figured out that reason so I just continue through life...I remember he used to say it bothered him when he and a girl would break up so he would let time pass and reach out. For me, that day was yesterday. In my head, we would meet up for coffee, talk things through, wish each other the best, hug and go our separate ways.

Instead, I got a phone call. Apparently, he had been charged for something he opened on my behalf when we were together. Something I didn't sign myself up for but now that we're not together he feels like I'm obligated to pay. I wished for coffee, but this is an amount much more than what Dunkin Donuts would've charged me. I wanted a have a good life.” I got "let me know when it's out of my name."

We continued to text, civilly, but it wasn't the same. The connection we had was gone. It's been months and I just wish we could have been normal all along. This relationship has been emotionally draining even after the fact. I thought he would be my happily ever after; instead he's the nightmare that I wake up to everyday and go to bed with every night. I should get some closure at some point.

While he carries a piece of my heart, I carry emptiness. I no longer think that we are meant to be. I do think we're meant to respect each other enough to let this drift away peacefully. So, since there will be no coffee, and no hugs, Superman, I simply wish you the best.