Supergirl vs Superman

Supergirl vs Superman

my opinions on Supergirl Casting a superman

45
Supergirl vs Superman
static.srcdn.com

So recently, the CW show "Supergirl" announced that it would hire an actor and bring superman into the show as a regular. Many options were thrown around this and mine seemed fit in with a bunch of them. Obviously don't read any farther if you haven't seen the show or if you don't want spoilers.

One of the reasons I don't like superman appearing is because of the fact that superman never asked for her help. In the show, "Supergirl", Kara, a.k.a. Supergirl, has all the powers that Superman has so why does she need to ask for his help. Superman never had a get out of jail free card, why should she get one?

Another reason why he shouldn't be on the show is simply because his story has already been told and the show is not about him. His story has been told via his own movies and shows. Her life and her story are not as well known and should be able to stand alone in its own story of a kryptonian. The producers from season one even said that the show was not about him and that was the sole reason he wants on the show. However, shows do change when it changes networks and producers, but I feel they should have kept the feeling the same over "Superman".

The show has already had many Superman references, so why make an obvious one. The show has Jimmy Olsen, who is a photographer who photographed superman, now working with Supergirl. The show also has Lucy Lane, I bet you can guess who she is related to, the younger sister of Lois Lane. In a world full of references and ties why does the show need more references to Superman. In season one of "Supergirl", there were references to Superman and they did not pretend he didn't exist. He was referenced in an episode where he ended up saving Kara, he instant messages her on her computer and he was even called by Kara to help save her city when she didn't know how. However, her cousin the so called man of steel was taken out in this episode and Supergirl suddenly was all on her own again. another reference to superman, Supergirl's cape is made from his baby blanket.

While I think the casting for superman is great,I feel the show should have stayed referencing superman but keeping him off-screen. The show is telling the world the story of Supergirl and not of superman. In truth, I am afraid of how season 2 will work, if it will become more of a Superman show with an emphasis on Supergirl or Supergirl teaming up with Superman. I hope it will continue to be about Supergirl and her triumphs and not have her always coming up second to her cousin.