My Conspiracy Theory On The "Super Bowl Selfie Kid"

Somebody had to put him up to this...

89
Today

If you hear the words, "Super Bowl Selfie Kid," you will immediately know who I am talking about. If you don't, you missed quite a show.

During this past Super Bowl, Justin Timberlake performed a halftime show and danced through the crowds. One young teenage boy, named Ryan McKenna, whipped out his phone and took a selfie with Timberlake himself, and then proceeded to awkwardly stand there. While everybody was dancing and singing along with Timberlake, McKenna stood still, appearing to have no idea what the song even was, and there were questions if he even knew who Justin Timberlake is.

According to an interview, McKenna's phone apparently died right when it came time to take a selfie with the famous Timberlake. It turned back on, and he was waiting for it to reboot again, hence him acting awkward.

I (jokingly) have come up with the conspiracy theory that McKenna's act was actually set up by Tide. McKenna immediately became famous, and some viewers have joked about him "stealing Justin Timberlake's show." Of course, he became a meme within hours of the incident, and he is the only subject of conversations.

This (hopefully) marks the end of the Tide Pod Memes since McKenna is now the center of attention.

But it appears quite suspicious that out of all the people at the Super Bowl, this awkward, uncultured kid was chosen to be shown for an unusually prolonged period of time on the jumbotron (at the event that the vast majority of America was watching). Until he came along, there was no sign that the Tide Pod trend was going to end any time soon.

My idea is that Tide knew they had to act fast to save the business, since so many idiots were consuming laundry detergent. It even got to the point where stores had to lock up Tide Pods and consumers had to provide identification in order to purchase the product. Tide was tired of this trend ruining their image, so they put it a stop for once and all. They hired McKenna to act awkward, they instructed Timberlake to dance through the crowd and stop to take a selfie with McKenna, and they made sure that the guy who controls the jumbotron would focus on this teenage boy for a long enough period of time to where the Super Bowl viewers noticed how awkward he was being. Had this moment not been captured, nobody would have noticed what happened, and he still would be a normal citizen of society. Instead, his nickname is the "Super Bowl Selfie Kid," and he has already been in countless memes and interviewed by ABC.

Am I upset that the Tide Pod Trend has finally come to an end? Absolutely not. Do I find it weird how quickly a random teenage boy became famous? Absolutely. However, the trend had to stop somehow, and I commend Tide for their creativity in combatting such a difficult situation.

*Note: This is a satirical post. This is not a real conspiracy theory.