SUMMERTIME

SUMMERTIME

and Why I Needed It

13
SUMMERTIME
Jonteal Hastey

During the summers away from school, I am usually working at Six Flags America. This year summer is not the same.

I've been on my summer break for about two months now and I am lucky to be home. In the past, I had always been so over consumed with school and work and school and work, that I lost who I was on my path. Instead of the bubbly girl I had once been, i was now the girl struggling with identity and anger.

This summer I did not get the privilege or of lack there of to work at the amusement park. So like any other kid fresh onto summer break, I took the time to rest and socialize. While that was just what I needed and I did enjoy my friends... I learned on my journey that working was also what I needed. Without it, my character weakens. I also realized that even when I am around people, I am alone. I am the kid who would rather sit in a bed binge watching Netflix, than to have a life.

So I got a job at a summer camp and started working with kids who are anything but angels. In my time spent with them so far, I learned that I have a natural thing with teaching. From this I learned that I am so much more than a college girl. I am a girl who loves to help people.

The last few weeks of my summer have been spent writing my book. Yes!! I said a book. Before, I wrote poems and I still do... the only difference is I have goals with my writing now. The words I write are not just letters on a screen, but a power to move so many people. And while being alone has been the hardest thing I have faced this year, being around people masks who I really am.

I have been grateful to use this summer to relax because in the process I got to work on myself. I have walked myself through step one of knowing who I am and being far happier than I was. So, although I can never be that bubbly person because she is FAR gone, I can be who I always aspired to be. I am not afraid anymore.