I Worked At A Special Needs School This Summer

I Spent My Summer Working At A Special Needs School

And it was the most rewarding job I had ever had.

63
https://www.clel.org/single-post/2014/12/29/Spaces-for-Children-with-Special-Needs
CLEL

I was lucky enough to spend five weeks working with children who view life in a completely different way than I do. Now I'm not so sure if I'll ever look at life the same again.

I say that because these children completely changed how I view the world. I take many things for granted without even realizing I'm doing so.

Something as simple as feeding myself, going to the bathroom when I wish, or being able to hold a pencil to write my name. These are all things that do not come so easy to these children, but you would never be able to tell that they were unable to perform simple life tasks.

They walk into the room every morning and greet you with the sweetest of smiles and nicest "good mornings!" you have ever received. These kids aren't just there because their parents want them to be there, but they genuinely want to be there as well and make memories with their classmates.

They cheer each other on when they get the answer correct and always share their sharpened colored pencils and snacks at lunchtime. They are just like you and me, but their hearts are fuller.

They don't see the world as cold and cruel as we do, and they see the good in everyone.

I learned that they will remember your favorite color, your birthday and if you wore that shirt last week. They want to get to know you, just as much as you are trying to learn about them.

What surprised me the most was how outgoing they were and the amount of confidence they had. I was blessed to have been a buddy to a girl with Cerebral Palsy.

I swear this beautiful 18-year-old girl had more confidence that I ever had in all 21 years of my life. I was so interested to see each day what dress she had picked out, and listen to her talk to me all day about which boy she was crushing on. There were quite a few!

She never failed to bring the biggest smile to my face. Every morning I got to feed her breakfast, help her color and write her school work, and push her down the hallways as everyone fought to say hi to her first. The teachers and the students all loved her, and she loved them right back.

You see, it didn't bother her that we had to change her twice a school day after using the bathroom. It didn't phase her that she couldn't run during gym class with her classmates. She didn't mind that I had to write all her work for her since she couldn't.

She respected what she could and could not do. When another kid would ask her why she was in a wheelchair, she would, without hesitation, reply, "I was born this way, I have Cerebral Palsy."

She knew that she was different than most of the kids at her school, but she definitely had other things that made her stand out.

This girl was smart. I'm not just talking about math smart, book smart, or knowing all the words to Charlotte's Web. She knew how to talk to you for hours and communicate her feelings, how to sing, and how to call you out for not paying enough attention to her.

She was one of a kind.

Each and every one of the children I got to be with every day this summer showed me that life is so much more than being stuck in traffic on our commute to work, more than fancy clothes and new shoes. The moments that we stop and appreciate life for all that we have is what impacts us the most.

I spent the majority of my days over the last six months focusing on the things I couldn't do; more specifically, running. I wasn't being grateful for being able to walk again, being able to ride a bike, or just do simple tasks after months of agonizing hip pain. Working at the school this summer was my wake-up call.

I saw that these children didn't have many limitations, but the things they weren't able to do didn't stop them from being happy and thankful for being able to conquer the day.

The littlest things make them the happiest. A high-five from a passing friend down the hall, a sticker on their paper, or winning the kickball game in gym class; these are the things that brighten their day.

Not what shoes they're wearing or likes on an Instagram post. They know their worth because they know they are worth getting to know. I have never met such selfless, kind, and compassionate human beings.

I spent my summer working at a special needs school, and it forever changed how I view the world. I promise to be more aware of the things I let bother me, or the things I take for granted. Life is so much more beautiful and rewarding than we see it to be.

Be grateful for what you have and who you are, and do not dwell on the things you lack or the person you are not. Be beautifully you.