A Summer With My Jesus

A Summer With My Jesus

Who God has shown Himself to be this summer

15
A Summer With My Jesus

This summer has been one of new experiences, growth, and witnessing God's faithfulness.

(In case you didn't know, I pushed my comfort zone this summer.)

As I've navigated a new season and challenged myself to explore, many dear friends from home told me that they are praying for me, and I can tell. Thank you. It makes a difference; God has been oh-so-good to me this summer.

I want to share some of the aspects of God's character that I've seen because of this journey.

Ever Present

I love the chance to have alone time with God. Think Maria from The Sound of Music: mountains, hills, and trees creating a secluded sanctuary. In a place like that, I could sing or pray aloud or worship, just me and my Jesus!

But I wasn't in a gorgeous mountain retreat; I was in a city. The walls are thin in my dorm and in my workplace. The beautiful green areas to which I can easily walk feel secluded at first, until you realize how often others pass through. I couldn't even find a quiet corner in the dorm basement where I could pour out my heart to God.

So what did I do? I let God teach me about abiding.

I prayed on the way to the metro when I looked like a crazy person talking to myself.

I sang anywhere and everywhere when God put a song in my heart. (I tried to keep the volume down!)

I am learning to give every task to God. Before I start a new task at work, I try to remember to commit it to Him in prayer. But why stop with work? Why not live life yielding each moment and duty to God?

There were a few blessed times when I found myself alone and able to talk aloud with Jesus. Oh, what sweet gifts! Because I had longed for time with Him, they seemed extra special.

Most of the time, however, I learned that God really is Who He said He is: Emmanuel, God with us (Matt. 1:23). And we can bank on His presence every moment of every day.

My Loving Father

I know that not everyone has a loving earthly father (which breaks my heart). But God is the ultimate Father; His tender care and nurturing is far beyond anything a human can give. My prayer is that anyone who has missed out on a loving relationship with their earthly father will experience first-hand the wonderful love of their Heavenly Father.

What does a good father want for his children?

He wants them to grow well. He wants them to mature and flourish as unique and whole individuals.

My Father has been growing me during this summer. I'm not just surviving; I truly feel that I am flourishing because of my Father's wonderful care.

A father also wants good friends for his children. God has blessed me above and beyond what I dared to expect.

My workplace has been amazing. Coworkers and interns alike have spoken life into my soul, demonstrated beautiful openness, and welcomed me.

I found a local church that speaks truth and seeks to build community. I've had wonderful conversations with people and experienced true fellowship that comes from sacrificial loving.

God gave me a wonderful roommate with whom I've shared lots of laughter, deep talks, and intriguing conversation.

All I can say is, with a sense of wonder and awe, "My cup runneth over." (Ps. 23:5)

To My Readers:

That's a small peek at what God is doing in my life. It's been a crazy summer, and I'm grateful for the chance to reflect on what I'm learning.

How has God been working in your life?