summer 2019

The Reality Of Summer When You're Working And Taking Classes

There are 104 days of summer vacation and this is not how I want to spend it.

10
Kaylee Smith

As Phineas and Ferb said (circa 2007),

There's 104 days of summer vacation

And school comes along just to end it

So the annual problem for our generation

Is finding a good way to spend it

Like maybe...

Working forty hours a week while taking nine credit hours. Well, that's not the "good" way to spend it, but that's how I'm spending this summer. When I first decided to take summer classes while working, I didn't think it would necessarily be bad. I believed it would be more boring than anything, not being able to see my friends or go out. Although, I would now say it isn't boring because every second of every day I'm preoccupied with something. Yes, that stuff usually is boring, but not the type of bored where it's because I have nothing to do.

Working while also taking classes during the summer makes the summer fly by, already more than normal. I don't have time to hang out with friends or partake in any hobbies. Sometimes (many times) daily life necessities such as showering, sleeping, and eating become scarce. I can't take long showers, waste time cooking complete meals, or sleeping more than five to six hours a night; which is a big problem when I am a person who needs a plethora amount of sleep a night.

There are pros and cons to both the days I work and the days where I encompass myself in school work all day. At work, I'm making money and being able to socialize with others (some days I like that aspect more than others), but it still works and many times I become perturbed. Similarly, the days I do homework I get to wear sweatpants all day, but doing tedious work all alone for 12 hours gets old, pretty fast.

Anyone who is also in this scenario knows how annoying summer classes and work combined can be, yet we know it'll pay off in the long run. Sometimes, thinking about how we're currently helping our future lives is the only motivation that day we have going for us. Working full-time while taking summer classes is a hassle, and takes the fun out of what summer is supposed to be, but one day it'll pay off (hopefully).