Summer, Where Are You?
Education

Summer, Where Are You?

I need more warmth, and less stress.

46
Summer, Where Are You?
the author

We've reached the wall. Some people have spring break that they are enjoying, or looking forward to still, but for the most part we are at our breaking points.

College students, you know what I mean.

The weather? Cold, dreary, maybe some snow (but not enough to get a day off, of course). Assignments? Piling up. Your room? A complete mess of things you are too tired to put away or want to take home before it is move out time. Your closet? Full of sweaters and hoodies you are tired of wearing, with tshirts and shorts buried away waiting to be worn. Morale? Very low.

Everyone is getting sick, again, because no one has the time to sleep and eat healthy. Everyone is sick of each other and wants to either go see a beach or their dog. Before every class you pray that your professor cancels, even if there is no reason to. And you are running very low on any money you accumulated over winter break.

Spring break is just that, a break, and its exciting and its a small bright spot, but it is still so far from the light at the end of the tunnel. Summer is what we need.

Summer. Full of bright sun and warmth. You have actual free time that does not require you pretending that you do not have an assignment due. You either go home and see all of the friends, and pets, you have been missing, or at least have some days off to go visit them. Should you have assignments, odds are the number of them is reduced because you are not taking a full semester's course load. And you have time to work, and make money, that does not require you sprinting from class and changing in a bathroom before to be able to squeeze in a full shift.

So, summer, where are you hiding? Do you have a secret button I can push to fast forward? I am not the homesick type, but I am the type to ache for a break, for a change of pace, and for a second to breathe (hopefully that air has a little ocean salt in it, too). I am the type to ache for summer.