Best Hidden Summer Spots In Oklahoma

Best Hidden Summer Spots In Oklahoma

The best summer spots are a lot closer than you think.

72
Best Hidden Summer Spots In Oklahoma
philbrook.org

Ah, don't you just hate the smell of finals week in the morning? Thankfully, finals week also means that there is just one more week until summer! The issue is—what the heck is there to do in Oklahoma? I've heard several people (myself included) complain about the empty blah that is the state of Oklahoma. Well, I am determined to make my first summer break in college full of adventure, but on a tight college student budget, it's hard to squeeze in much adventure during the summer.

Over the years, I've found a few gems around the state of Oklahoma that I love to go to, and I've come to realize that Oklahoma isn't that boring of a state to live in. Maybe we don't have the towering skyscrapers of New York City or the sunny beaches of Florida, but we can still have some summer fun! Today I'm here to share some of the great summer spots of Oklahoma with you!

To kick the summer off, I always love to go to the Renaissance Festival that's held every weekend in May at the Castle of Muskogee. Go back to a simpler time and watch various shows, jousting, and enjoy in the festivities! The best part is dressing up and joining in with the crowd. Don't forget to try a turkey leg fit for a king!

If you're in the mood for camping, head over to Tenkiller State Park! Tenkiller has a great lake surrounded by the beautiful nature of Oklahoma. There are spots for fishing, hiking, and camping. There is also a great nature center located in the park. The best part is that there isn't a lot of light pollution, so at night every star in the universe shines for you.

Along with the lakes in Oklahoma, there are also several rivers that are perfect for rafting, canoeing, or kayaking! My favorite is the Illinois River. There are several raft rental places right next to the river. The river is also a great place for fishing and camping.

The lakes in Oklahoma are great, but there are several gardens that are absolutely gorgeous.

The first one is the Crystal Bridge Botanical Gardens in Oklahoma City. The Crystal Bridge is a Topical Paradise right here in Oklahoma that is have to hundreds of tropical plants and birds.

The next garden to go visit is the romantic Tulsa Municipal Rose Gardens. This garden was first created in 1934 and has been maintained since. My favorite part is the smell!

If you go to the Rose Gardens, also go right next door to the Philbrook Museum of Art! The mansion is full of history and is free for students of most local colleges. The artwork is amazing, and Philbrook has a garden of its own.

Frontier City isn't the only form of entertainment in Oklahoma, either.

For some fun and entertainment this summer, head to Main Event in downtown Tulsa! There's tons of stuff to do including food, bowling, laser tag, karaoke, rock climbing, gravity rope, and so many more activities. There's literally something for everyone to do.

Or if you feel like relaxing, head over to The Phoenix in downtown Tulsa. This coffee shop has its own library inside where you can sit down, drink some coffee, and read a book. The atmosphere itself is soothing, and the staff is friendly.

These are just a few of my favorite places to go in Oklahoma whenever I'm looking for things to do during the summer. There is a lot more to Oklahoma than what meets the eye! Whenever you get bored, don't despise this great state we live in because there is so much to do if you just look past the surface.