charleston, summer, college student

6 Reasons Every CofC Student Should Stay in Charleston Over The Summer

Because all your friends will wish they were in Charleston too.

286
Personal Image
Jackie Stein

From the moment finals are over to mid-August, College of Charleston students miss their beautiful city. And, being home for the summer can really suck. We can all agree, we wish we never had to leave Charleston — so, don't and you will thank yourself later — here are six reasons why you should stay the summer in Charleston.

1. It is a parent-free summer

As a college student, going home for the summer means going back to having a curfew, doing chores, and being under your parent's roof which can be challenging since we all just spent the last 9 months not doing any of that. But a summer away from home, is an opportunity to continue the independence you experienced throughout the school year. With no curfew, no chores, and lots of independence, it is guaranteed to be a pretty fun summer.

2. You make a bunch of new friends

Even though most of your friends will go home for the summer, chances are you will know of a few people who are also spending the summer. Don't hesitate to reach out to them – they are looking for people to hang out with to! Moreover, once you get a job, start going out at night, and even just meet your neighbors you will begin to connect with more and more people.

3. It is a chance to actually explore Charleston

You go to school in one of the coolest, most beautiful cities in the country and yet the truth is, during the school year, we tend to only see the inside of classrooms or the library. When we do get free time, chances are we are going out with our friends or binge-watching Netflix. However, during the summer, without school, you suddenly have a ton of free time to see the sunset at the Battery, walk King Street on Second Sunday, go to the Charleston City Market, and explore hidden spots throughout Charleston that you may have never even known were there. The Holy City is filled with charming, accessible, interesting gems.

4. Sullivan’s Island, Folly Beach, IOP…

The beach is within a 20-minute drive all summer long and you actually have the time to go enjoy it as much as you like, plus you can get a nice tan.

5. Never run into anyone from high school *out-of-staters*

Just because you graduated high school doesn't mean you'll never see that girl you didn't like or the boy you had a huge crush on during a trip to the grocery store with your mom… but that can only happen if you stay the summer at home. In Charleston, there is way too many tourists and way too few people you know to run into anyone at the grocery store or anywhere for that matter.

6. It is an opportunity that may never come around again

Imagine this: you get to live in an apartment in a beautiful city without your parents over your shoulder. You are making tons of new memories and friendships. You can go to the beach whenever you want, and you don't have to see anyone from high school. And most importantly, you're young and don't have the burden of having the responsibility of caring for a family, paying bills, or going to a real-adult job. You may never get an opportunity to live in such an awesome city and be this young and care-free ever again… so take advantage!