Songs To Nurse Your Summer Depression

These should be your glory days—bonfires, pool parties, romance—but so far this summer's looking like another three months of screwing up your sleep schedule and getting vacation envy. Sure, there's plenty of ways to fight the lethargy that comes with increased heat and decreased responsibility. Socializing is an option. Going outside is also, definitely an option, but why would you do that when you can embrace the ennui threatening to consume your body and soul?

Bring in the bops!

1. Mitski — "Nobody"

Mitski's been on a serious roll lately. Her latest album "Be The Cowboy" will have you balling your eyes out on the dance floor.

2. Girl In Red — "Summer Depression"

A little bit on the nose with this one, but it's a jam.

3. Fleetwood Mac — "Dreams"

If you don't shed a tear when Stevie Nicks hits that high note at 0:33, do you even have a heart?

4. Alvvays - "Dreams Tonite"

Not a sad song necessarily, but what better way to drown in your emotions than to soak your ears in reverb?

5. The Kinks - "Waterloo Sunset"

Look, they weren't as cool as the Stones, and they were't as good as the Beatles, but I've got a special place in my heart for the Davies boys. This track especially.

6. Snail Mail - "Thinning"

"Snail Mail" was only 16 when this song was released (!!!). I'm 18 and have yet to become an indie music darling, so basically I've already failed at life.

7. Adult Mom — "Be Your Own 3AM"

Two minutes and ten seconds of garage-rock gold that will have you cutting your own bangs and buying a pair of Doc Martins before it's over.

8. R.E.M. — "Nightswimming"

What's that? You were expecting "Everybody Hurts"? Don't be basic. Everybody knows "Nightswimming"'s the real tearjerker.

9. Girlpool — "Cut Your Bangs"

When the seasonal affective disorder wears off, I highly suggest checking out the more upbeat version by Radiator Hospital.

10. Car Seat Headrest — "Something Soon"

I actually had the chance to see Car Seat Headrest live. I may or may not have burst into tears when they started playing this song.

11. Future Bible Heroes — "Lonely Days"

Sorry, but "there's nowhere left to go but crazy" is a killer line.

12. Fenne Lily — "Car Park"

You know, I'm still not okay with quite a few britishisms (i.e. biscuts, chips), but 'car park' is a transgression I can forgive. I mean, 'parking lot' is fine, but 'car park' is adorable. It sounds like the cars are at recess or at something.

13. The Velvet Underground — "After Hours"

Every time you play this song, an introvert gets it's wings.

14. Otis Redding — "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay"

A beautiful tribute to completely giving up.

15. Elastica — "Waking Up"

At some point we've all thought "If I can't be a star I won't get out of bed".

16. The Beach Boys — "Don't Worry Baby"

To me there was always something a little melancholy about the harmonies in this track.

17. Radiohead — "No Surprises"

A depressing Radiohead song? Yeah, no surprises.

18. The Smiths — "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now"

This song slaps. It is a complete and utter bop. Yes, the singer sounds like Kermit the frog. Yes, that is a whole-ass tree branch in his back pocket. Don't @ me.

19. Real Estate — "Had To Hear"

What? That last song wasn't jangly enough for you?

20. Soccer Mommy — "Blossom"

Adult mom, Soccer Mommy... I'm waiting for a band called "Golf Dad".

21. Broken Social Scene — "Anthems For A Seventeen-year Old Girl"

"Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" takes the cake for best soundtrack 100%.

22. Japanese Breakfast — "Boyish"

"Boyish" comes off like an Old Hollywood musical number sung from the bottom of a well—and it's beautiful.

23. Daughter — "Landfill"

Literally anything by Daughter could make this list. They're the Queen/Kings of indie-folk melancholia. Plus the lyric game is on point, as always.

24. William Eyelash — "when the party's over"

You get one Billie Eilish song, hear me? ONE.

25. New Order — "Age of Consent"

Perfect for dancing alone in your room.

26. Cat Power — The Greatest

I would like to take this time to posit that Cat Power is the coolest stage name of all time.

27. Band Of Horses — "The Funeral"

This song has been in quite possibly every single TV show/movie since it was released.

28. Sufjan Stevens — "Fourth of July"

If a refrain like "we're all gonna die" isn't an instant mood-killer than I don't know what is.

29. The Beatles — "Across The Universe"

After a long day of... doing absolutely nothing, "Across The Universe" is a perfect track to, relax, turn off your mind, and float downstream to.

30. Jonathan Richman — "That Summer Feeling"

This song always reminds me of that kind of summer you see in movies from the late 1970's. You know—crop tops, baseball, and absolutely no parental supervision.

From Your Site Articles