The Pros And Cons Of Summer Classes

Summer Classes Are Simultaneously The Best And Worst Decision You Could Ever Make

You think it's a really good idea at the time, but once the day comes that the class starts, you immediately regret it.

327

I am not as smart during the summer as I am during the school year — and I realize that every time a summer class starts yet still keep taking them. You'd think I've learned by now, right?

Every single summer, I really think I am going to excel in my summer classes. And, every summer, I struggle immediately. I sign up for my summer classes in March and convince myself that it will be super easy because it's online. I tell myself that I will be perfectly fine, but I am proven wrong every time.

Summer classes, especially online, are actually really hard to manage. You have to constantly be thinking about the class while trying to enjoy your summer. Let me tell you — it's really stressful! One night you're at your friends for a bonfire and having a ton of fun, then you realize it's 11:30 p.m. You have an assignment due at 11:59 p.m. that you completely forgot about (oops).

Summer classes are ALL about time management. You have to pencil in every single assignment, remember it, and work it around work on top of having an actual life this summer as well. It's annoying but hopefully, it will be worth it, right?

I take summer classes so that I can finish school early because I can't afford another year of school. Additionally, take them to stay on track and to get ahead. I think that they are a really good idea but you genuinely have to have the will power to take a summer class and that is something I have never had nor will I ever have.

I think the most stressful part about summer classes are the deadlines. There are deadlines during regular semesters, but everything is more planned out and it works out so much easier. In the summer, I don't look at my planner every hour trying to figure out what needs to be done that day.

Summer classes can be nice and pretty convenient but also really time-consuming. I sit in my room for hours working from class to class to class, staying up to date on all my assignments. It's all great until that one day I forget — immediately goes downhill from there. Somehow I am failing because I missed one day of assignments.

Here's another thing about summer classes: it is the same amount of work as a 16-week course condensed into eight weeks, sometimes even four to six. It really seems like such a good idea because it's a shorter amount of time, but you have to work twice as hard to even understand the content since it is all thrown at you super quick. It is really stressful, okay?

Don't get me wrong — I really think summer classes are a smart idea. In all honesty, I hate them! You have to prepare so much for them; they truly require more work than classes during a regular semester most of the time.

I say this, but the minute my next summer class begins, I am going to regret it.