Summer 2017 Update

Summer 2017 Update

Extra shows just for You!

42
Summer 2017 Update
CosGamer!

I will be honest with you, I made a mistake. In my previous article on the Summer 2017 shows, I mentioned something along the lines of how not season have gold or instant classics. I feel as a writer that I should own to my mistakes and the way that I do that is to follow up and tell you about the new originals that aired in the past two weeks. Hopefully you all can forgive me because I am human and we are entailed to some mistakes once in a blue moon? Without further ado, here are the new shows that I think that will keep glued to the screen.

Some of you guys have heard, read, or seen a little show called “Death Note”? A psychological thriller that keeps the audience in suspense. While there has been some shows that have closely mimicked that same suspense such as “Erased” or “The Perfect Insider”, there has been a new show this summer that reminded me a lot of “Death Note” called “Kakegurui- Compulsive Gambler”. This show focuses around a private academy where several rewards are decided through gambling. Gambling doesn’t have to be the typical poker or blackjack, but can even be a game of Rock, paper, scissors. It opens up with Ryouta Suzui who lost all his money and had to even bet his own servitude on the line to Meari Saotome, who is the school’s top gambler. He ends up becoming a human pet and nearly gives up on his education and school life. In comes Yumeko Jabami who seems like a regular schoolgirl, but everyone soon realizes the risks that she will take to win a game such as betting 10 million yen on a hand of rock, paper, scissors. What really got me to enjoy this show is that not all of the chances and moves that the characters take were ever random or uncalculated. Just like in “Death Note”, the characters in “Kakegurui” uses subtle hints around them and uses it as clues to decide their next move. Without trying to spoil anymore about how the characters win, it does a great job on keeping us on the edge of our seat, genuinely not knowing who will win the entire jackpot. If you’re looking for suspense and thriller that doesn't entail the use of murder or police, “Kakegurui” is the show to watch.

If instead you are looking for action than nail-biting intensity, I got the show for you. It’s called “Katsugeki Touken Ranbu”, if I had to sum up the description, it’s the anime version of “Time Cop” with swords instead of guns. Honestly, I am really impressed with the amount of interesting original shows that aired. Usually I get some wind of these shows before airing so I can get some research, but delightful surprises are much appreciated by this guy here. This anime is a sequel to the Fall 2016 show: “Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru”. Both shows are centered on “historical revisionists” who are attempting to change important moments in time and only the people from Touken Danshi and Saniwa can stop these revisionists. In “Katsugeki”, two sword warriors and a fox-dog spirit who acts as the history recorder and data collector are sent to the Edo period, right about the time when the samurai era ended. I am super excited not only for just the story of the show, but the animation also. The show is being produced by ufotable studios whose work included the “Fate” series and “God Eater”, some of the best animation that any studio can offer, especially in the action genre. Check this show out on www.crunchyroll.com.

Trying to keep things relaxed or on the D.L.? Wanna watch Slice of Life shows? I like that, so in return I have two new shows just for you. The first is called “Elegant Yokai Apartment Life” and it is about Yuushi Inaba who is about to move to his new dorm life for high school (FYI, Japanese students can move into school-designated dorms by the time they’re in high school, but can be done in our middle school equivalent or obviously in college). Unfortunately, Yuushi’s future dorm got burned down and he is desperate to find a new dorm. He is an orphan and his aunt and uncle took him in, but he feels as though he has been a bother to their financial burdens, so he desires to lift some of the burden by moving away. He finds a cheap apartment for just 25,000 yen per month and even comes with furniture, but comes with a catch: the apartment complex is haunted by ghosts. Yuushi brushes off the comment as a joke, jumps on the opportunity the realizes that the realtor was not at all joking. He’s only accompanied by two other human residents and one of them is an exorcists in training. I am enjoying every minute so far of this show and can’t wait for the next episode. The second show is called “Isekai Shokudou” or “Restaurant to Another World”. As the title says, it’s a restaurant that acts as a portal to another world, but all the patrons such as demons or monsters enjoy the food that Chef Tenshu cooks up. Tenshu is so good that whenever the monsters get a little out of control, he threatens to close down the shop, which immediately makes them calm down and continue their meal. One day, Tenshu finds a half-demon-half-human sleeping, indicated by the horns she hides under a hat, in his kitchen. He finds out her name is Aletta and was pretty much wandering the world because demons are not accepted in cities or towns. She found her way to a door that led to Tenshu’s restaurant and Tenshu understands her position and then offers her a position in his restaurant. It seems like this show can be a breakout show that will catch viewers off guard and I will be a viewer every week.

Now, I know I said I only two shows, but there was a third one, but I wasn’t sure to add because it has aired. Regardless, the show is called “A Centaur’s Life” and if you have seen the show, “Interviews with Monster Girls”, I feel as though it’s going to be very similar. Yes, the show will be about Centaur, but it will also be about her and her friends' journey that will experience the same struggles of life in school. There’s very little to go off of and only one episode will have aired, but I am really looking forward to this show because of the similarity to the other anime. Hopefully, you all now have a better idea of the new shows that will be airing this summer and hope that you will have a great viewing experience.